Sunday, January 2, 2011

"Love Lived Out"

As Jesus was speaking those words written in John 6:26 & 27, those that heard them most likely did not understand, or even care what He was saying. Because His point was not about being feed, or even the working of miracles, but rather that we should labour for those things which will not pass, much like being filled by food will barely last a day; however, "the meat which endureth unto everlasting life", now that will last forever. You see, 'agapao' and 'phileo' have something very much in common, they are both verbs; and as such, they both define an action, or reaction; either way, there is action involved with both of these types of love. As I laid beside my wife this morning, I had to wonder which of these two action words I counted upon the most; or better put, which one did I live out the most? And, while dwelling on this for about 20 minutes, I wondered if a person could love both ways at the same time? Well, could they? One way of loving looks for comfort in a relationship, while the other way of loving looks to comfort; one way looks to be pleased, while the other looks to please. But, the question I would ask, and did ask, is can you have it both ways? Which I then began to try and figure out as I was comforting my wife; just stroking her face and telling her how much that I love her; not really expecting any reaction, but just loving her all the same. And after about another 20 minutes of this, I came to what I think is a conclusion: it does work both ways! Really, I think it does! The love that I expressed to my wife, whether she could express it back or not, that didn't matter to the love that I felt for her; in fact, if anything, that love was magnified by the fact that she was afflicted and could not love me the way that I would have wanted. It was as if I had a greater love for her in her affliction, then had she not been afflicted; is that weird? I think it is a matter of being satisfied verses comforted; or maybe, it is a matter of longing? There is something about God's love for us, that is expressed in this manor of loving the afflicted more, because of the longing; because the separation caused by man being afflicted by sin, caused a longing in Him for man to be restored. Much like the parable of the 'prodigal son', which is more about the love for the lost, than that of affliction; however, what I am talking about is the Father's longing for His children, and the fact that He loved the lost one with a greater compassion then the one that was not lost. It is almost like there is a 'wanting to love' someone back to health, or back to being in a position in which they once were; and it is this 'wanting to love' that is felt both ways...

No comments:

Post a Comment