Saturday, January 15, 2011

"Love Endures All Things, Regardless"

"For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known." (1 Corinthians 13:12) Regardless of what? What is it that seems to stubble our love for one another? Thinking back to when I would have a fight with my wife, it was the fact that she had to know how much my heart hurt which really made me mad. Can't she see how upset I am? would be the question in my mind. If you were thinking selfishness, then you are half correct; because the thing that upsets love the most is feelings. Sometimes present, sometimes not felt at all; but feelings are the product of our emotions, and are not the product of Love. Emotions are directly attached to the flesh; I feel happy, I feel sad, I feel like I am in love, I don't feel loved at all; regardless of what I am feeling, real Love does not faint, fade, or fail. Feelings are one of the childish things which should be put away, because the man of God does not care any longer about what this body may feel like doing. If there was one thing that Jesus expressed more than any other, it was that we must do what we might otherwise not feel like doing: love your enemies, give them the other cheek, walk two miles when asked to walk one, give them your coat also; all of which require the 'I don't feel like it' attitude to be thrown out the window. But you see, here is where we stumble; time and time again, we look to how we feel: I don't feel good about this, or that? It is really not a question about you when it comes to Love, but more about others. My worst remembrance of a blow-out fight I had with my wife, was about Bush's Baked Beans, believe it or not? I asked her to get some of my favorite beans to go with our dinner and she came home with a new kind of Bush's Baked Beans for me to try; I did not feel like trying something new, I wanted what I knew I already liked; it didn't take long for that to get ugly. Thinking back to that horrible day, was like thinking back to when my parents would have me go to bed without dinner: empty inside! In my own stupid childish way, I had no concern for what my wife felt as I scolded her for her mistake; which became my mistake!!! And then, after realizing my stupidity, and giving her, what I thought was my best apology, I was shunned; 'Oh no she didn't', was the reply in my heart; and now the new fight continued, until I did something which I never had done before, I left. It hurt so bad when I did, I can not begin to express it; but it was as if I had just killed something, and now I did not know what to do. If I stayed gone too long, maybe she would get concerned; if I went back too soon, maybe there would be no change. But no matter what the outcome, the thing that I felt worst about, was the fact that I had left. Nothing can make a person feel a lack of love more than leaving... "But now are they many members, yet but one body. And the eye cannot say unto the hand, I have no need of thee: nor again the head to the feet, I have no need of you. Nay, much more those members of the body, which seem to be more feeble, are necessary: and those members of the body, which we think to be less honourable, upon these we bestow more abundant honour; and our uncomely parts have more abundant comeliness. For our comely (well-formed) parts have no need: but God hath tempered the body together, having given more abundant honour to that part which lacked: That there should be no schism (split) in the body; but that the members should have the same care one for another." (1 Corinthians 12:20-25)

No comments:

Post a Comment