Monday, May 2, 2016

"Melancholy Prayers"

"I cried unto God with my voice, even unto God with my voice; and he gave ear unto me." (Psalms 77:1) If you have suffered through some of the ugliness that life can dish out, then you might understand how this feels to have sorrow that just does not feel as though it can be comforted. You really don't even know what to pray for, because there really are no answers in sight; at least not answers that are right in front of you. If there are answers, they are the kind that would take years to materialize, or maybe found somewhere else, as in some other life. Looking at this verse from a perspective of deep depression or sorrow, I see a man that is dealing with something that will not go away, but that is something that is perpetual or never ending. With this, I somewhat can relate; although, I know in my heart, "This too will soon pass!" But in the meantime, it is just one day at a time, repeating the same prayer over and over, 'Lord, help me make it through another day; and by the way, please heal my wife.' It's not that there is no hope, because there is always hope enough to cope; it's just that some days we feel sick and tired of coping, we what there to be a miracle! On the other hand, there is real comfort that can be found; but it is not found to our situation or in our circumstance. It is like the pattern of this verse, which starts with a cry out to God, then more specifically to God, the one who can actually do something, and then the comfort of Him hearing your cry. You are still in your situation or circumstance, but you are no longer focused upon it, you are focused upon God, the one who is listening to your cry. At this point, it really does not matter what or how you cry, because nothing compares to the fact that God is listening. In other words, your comfort is not found in an answer to you problem, it is found in the solution to your problem, your relationship with God! With your relationship right with God, all else really does not matter as much as it should, or could. It kind of detaches you from what otherwise would cause you to be depressed or have sorrow. Unfortunately, it's not gone away! Thus, the reason for it being a perpetual matter, which keeps coming up, over and over, day by day...
"My grief is beyond healing; my heart is broken. Listen to the weeping of my people; it can be heard across the land. "Has the LORD abandoned Jerusalem?" the people ask. "Is her King no longer there?" "Oh, why have they provoked my anger with their carved idols and their worthless foreign gods?" says the LORD. "The harvest is finished, and the summer is gone," the people cry, "yet we are not saved!" I hurt with the hurt of my people. I mourn and am overcome with grief. Is there no medicine in Gilead? Is there no physician there? Why is there no healing for the wounds of my people?" (Jeremiah 8:18-22) NLT  

No comments:

Post a Comment