Monday, April 6, 2015

"Self-determination"

"And at evening let them return; and let them make a noise like a dog, and go round about the city." (Psalms 59:14) The problem with free will, is that it has a will; a will that often is resistant to the will of God. If we could only see what God sees, then we might make different choices when it comes to having things our way, verses doing what we believe God is asking us to do. I know it's a stretch, but don't you think this verse is a repeat of verse six; which, if it is, it should have already been dealt with; that is unless there happens to be something beyond just pride that needs to be dealt with; something like stubbornness, which is "the steadfast adherence to an opinion, purpose, or course of action in spite of reason, arguments or persuasion". We might tend to think that pride is the primary factor in this malfunction, but I don't know if I buy that, because I think it is more about reasoning and determination; not counting the cost, if you will, is what I think brings out the stubbornness in our ability to make the right choices. Here is another seed illustration, if you will, as Jesus explains what it is to do God's will, saying, "Verily, verily, except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it adideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit. He that loveth his life shall lose it: and he that hateth his life in this world shall keep it unto life eternal." (John 12:24-25) So, yes, one could make the case for pride having something to do with us holding unto the things of this world; in mean, if your stuck on wanting to see what you can get out of this world, then that could be considered the pride of life; but if you are just not yet convinced that none on this really matters, then that could just be pure stubbornness! It really comes down to counting the cost, as to what really matters, and then making a determination from that point on as to what direction you are headed in; am I going to follow my will, or am I going to follow God's will? Jesus continued, saying, "If any man serve me, let him follow me; and where I am, there shall also my servant be: if any man serve me, him will my Father honour. Now is my soul troubled; and what shall I say? Father, save me from this hour: but for this cause came I unto this hour." (John 12:26-27) So it was not pride that Jesus was speaking of, but more about the things that matter most, which is based upon what I want...
"If the first covenant had been faultless, there would have been no need for a second covenant to replace it. But when God found fault with the people, He said: The day is coming, says the LORD, when I will make a new covenant with the people of Israel and Judah. This covenant will not be like the one I made with their ancestors when I took them by the hand and led them out of the land of Egypt. They did not remain faithful to My covenant, so I turned My back on them, says the LORD. But this is the new covenant I will make with the people of Israel on that day, says the LORD: I will put My laws in their minds, and I will write them on their hearts. I will be their God, and they will be My people. And they will not need to teach their neighbors, nor will they need to teach their relatives, saying, 'You should know the LORD'. For everyone, from the least to the greatest, will know Me already. And I will forgive their wickedness, and I will never again remember their sins. When God speaks of a "new" covenant, it means He has made the first one obsolete. It is now out of date and will soon disappear." (Hebrews 8:7-13) NLT         

No comments:

Post a Comment