Saturday, April 11, 2015

"A Prayer for Help"

Psalms 60 [To the chief Musician upon Shushaneduth, Michtam of David, to teach; when he strove with Aramnaharaim and with Aramzobah, when Joab returned, and smote of Edom in the valley of salt twelve thousand.]
This is a rather interesting Psalm, that just so happens to take two different views upon the outcome of events; something of a basic lesson in the economy of God. 'Shushaneduth' is a word that is thought to mean "the lily", a work or ornament resembling lilies; maybe a musical instrument like a trumpet. Which reminds me, are the "trumpets of God" good or bad? I guess it depends where you are standing with God when they are sounded! The event that David is speaking of is recorded in two separate Books, 2 Samuel 8 and 1 Chronicles 18; but don't bother looking for "Aramnaharian" or Aramzobah" in those Scriptures, because you will not find them; from what I can see, they pretty much mean the same thing: the first is to be high, or the exalt oneself; while the second is exalted conflict, but also means to exalt oneself. It is interesting because in 2 Samuel 8 it appears that Israel won the battle with Edom, but in 1 Chronicles 18 they did not, Edom had the victory, being those that lived on the southern tip of the Dead Sea. You know, you can be serving God in all sorts of capacities, be it a preacher, a healer, a prophet, and even an evangelist, and you might still need for yourself to get right with God; you really don't want to be left, when you could have been right...
"If I could speak all the languages of the earth and of angels, but didn't love others, I would only be a noisy gong or clanging cymbal. If I had the gift of prophecy, and if I understood all of God's secret plans and possessed all knowledge, and if I had such faith that I could move mountains, but didn't love others, I would be nothing. If I gave everything I have to the poor and even sacrificed my body, I could boast about it; but if I didn't love others, I would gain nothing." (1 Corinthians 13:1-3) NLT    

No comments:

Post a Comment