Tuesday, November 1, 2022

"Just So You Know"

 "Now Bethany was nigh unto Jerusalem, about fifteen furlongs off:" (John 11:18 KJV)

   "That same day two of Jesus' followers were walking to the village of Emmaus, seven miles from Jerusalem. As they walked along they were talking about everything that had happened. As they talked and discussed these things, Jesus himself suddenly came and began walking with them. But God kept them from recognizing him. He asked them, "What are you discussing so intently as you walk along?" They stopped short, sadness written across their faces. Then one of them, Cleopas, replied, "You must be the only person in Jerusalem who hasn't heard about all the things that have happened there the last few days." "What things?" Jesus asked." "The things that happened to Jesus, the man from Nazareth," they said. "He was a prophet who did powerful miracles, and he was a mighty teacher in the eyes of God and all the people."" (Luke 24:13-19 NLT)

 It is interesting that John would mention this, because, basically, Bethany was close enough to the city of Jerusalem, that it could be considered as part of the city. It's like the towns I grew up in, none were in the actual city of Los Angeles, but if someone asked me where I grew up, it is easy for me to say that I grew up in East Los Angeles; instead of saying Bellflower, Downey, or Paramount. 

 The reason this is important is because the greatest miracles that Jesus did were in Jerusalem, or in those connecting little towns. This is where the greatest miracle of all was to happen, the place where Jesus would be taking on the sins of the entire world! 

 The place where I was actually saved was in the center of Los Angeles, oddly enough. It is also very close to one of the first places that I spent time in custody as a child, which was pretty much a stone-throw away from where the 5 FWY and 10 FWY connect. Any time I drive through that area, I can remember that place, as I look to the south, and remember looking out the window, down to the Freeway and seeing the tall buildings of L.A., through the smog. 

 I can also remember that is a place where I prayed to God, really prayed, asking for Him to help me to change my life. I think I was only about 12 or so, and it was the first time I had actually been a week or more in custody; so, it really was a somewhat traumatic time, for the first couple of days. After I made a few friends, the time didn't seem to matter so much, and I forgot about the prayer I had made to God. 

 Guess what! God did not forget! Less that 10 years later, there I was, in L.A. again; the place, where the most important thing that ever happened, happened...

""I create the light and make the darkness. I send good times and bad times. I, the LORD, am the one who does these things. "Open up, O heavens, and pour out your righteousness. Let the earth open wide so salvation and righteousness can sprout up together. I, the LORD, created them. "What sorrow awaits those who argue with their Creator. Does the clay dispute with its maker? Does the clay dispute with the one who shapes it, saying, 'Stop, you're doing it wrong!' Does the pot exclaim, 'How clumsy can you be?' How terrible it would be if a newborn baby said to its father, 'Why was I born?' or if it said to its mother, 'Why did you make me this way?'" This is what the LORD says - the Holy One of Israel and your Creator: "Do you question what I do for my children? Do you give me orders about the work of my hands? I am the one who made the earth and created people to live on it. With my hands I stretched out the heavens. All the stars are at my commend."" (Isaiah 45:7-12 NLT)     

No comments:

Post a Comment