Tuesday, November 29, 2022

"A Breath Away"

 "Then they took away the stone from the place where the dead was laid. And Jesus lifted up his eyes, and said, Father, I thank thee that thou hast heard me." (John 11:41 KJV)

   "I lift my eyes to you, O God, enthroned in heaven. We keep looking to the LORD our God for his mercy, just as servants keep their eyes on their master, as a slave girl watches her mistress for the slightest signal." (Psalm 123:1-2 NLT) 

 Don't know why, but as I pictured Lazarus inside the tomb, I did not imagine he was laid down, but was standing, as though a soldier, waiting for orders from his King to march forth. I know, it sounds weird, but it is possible! Anything with God is possible! I wish I could remember that more often, then maybe I too would be standing at attention waiting for orders; instead, I keep finding myself working on getting things done on my own. 

 Anywho, it really doesn't get much clearer than this: What is in your way from fully trusting the Lord? If you could narrow it down to one thing, what would it be? Lately, or maybe, for the last forty years, I have been feeling as though God wants me to do something else, but I have not felt strong enough to do it.

 Truth be told, maybe I just haven't been weak enough, to surrender completely to God's mercy! Don't quite know how else to describe it, but slaves don't stand around looking for grace, they are thankfully seeking and holding to mercy! In return, grace is given as a reward, not as a payment for service, as if they are being paid to ask and seek for mercy. 

 It is a fine line that separates the two, worker and servant; that line might be crossed over easily and without any warning, at all! For some, it might just be recognition, for others, it might just be grace! Amazingly, grace is freely given, but mercy is what we seek and ask for...

"Did I keep my heart pure for nothing? Did I keep myself innocent for no reason? I get nothing but trouble all day long; every morning brings me pain. If I had really spoken this way to others, I would have been a traitor to your people. So I tried to understand why the wicked prosper. But what a difficult task it is! Then I went into your sanctuary, O God, and I finally understood the destiny of the wicked. Truly, you put them on a slippery path and send them sliding over the cliff to destruction. In an instant they are destroyed, completely swept away by terrors. When you arise, O Lord, you will laugh at their silly ideas as a person laughs at dreams in the morning. Then I realized that my heart was bitter, and I was all torn up inside. I was so foolish and ignorant - I must have seemed like a senseless animal to you. Yet I still belong to you; you hold my right hand. You guide me with your counsel, leading me to a glorious destiny. Whom have I in heaven but you? I desire you more than anything on this earth. My health may fail, and my spirit may grow weak, but God remains the strength of my heart; he is mine forever." (Psalm 73:13-26 NLT)  

No comments:

Post a Comment