Sunday, November 13, 2022

"Our Master Comes!"

 "And when she had so said, she went her way, and called Mary her sister secretly, saying, The Master is come, and calleth for thee." (John 11:28 KJV) 

  "Ah, I hear my lover coming! He is leaping over the mountains, bounding over the hills. My lover is like a swift gazelle or a young stag. Look, there he is behind the wall, looking through the window, peering into the room. My lover said to me, "Rise up my darling! Come away with me, my fair one! Look, the winter is past, and the rains are over and gone. The flowers are springing up, the season of singing birds has come, and the cooing of the turtledoves fills the air. The fig trees are forming young fruit, and the fragrant grapevines are blossoming. Rise up, my darling! Come away with me, my fair one!" My dove is hiding behind the rocks, behind an outcrop on the cliff. Let me see your face; let me hear your voice. For your voice is pleasant, and your face is lovely." (Song Of Songs 2:8-14 NLT)

 So, there was this man who happened to be walking along the edge of a cliff, along the side of a very steep mountain. As he walked, he stumbled on a rock, causing him to fall over the edge of the cliff. On his way down, he was fortunate enough to grab hold of a root that was growing out of the side of the cliff; and he was able to stop his fall. 

 However, he was not able to pull himself up, and was only able to dangle there, holding onto the root. So he cried out for help, "Hello, is anyone up there?" he said, hoping that someone would answer, saying again, "Can anyone help me?" Frantically, he cried out, "Can anyone hear me? Is anyone there?"

 Suddenly there was a voice, "I am here", said the voice. So, the man, with some relief, said, "Can you help me?" "I can help you", said the voice. "Will you please help me?" begged the man. "Yes, I will help you," said the voice. And then the man said, with desperation, "What must I do!" 

 "Let go of the root", the voice replied. So, the man raised his voice a little louder, saying, "Is there anyone else up there!" 

 Oddly enough, I was brought up to the front of the class in my eleventh-grade creative writing class, to read my short story, called, "The Sparrow's Flight." There was only a few of us chosen to read our stories, each of which the teacher liked and wanted us to narrate our stories to the class. 

 My story was basically about a man that leaped off a cliff, only to be able to view the side of the cliff, which he could not see from the top. Of course, doing so, costed him his life, but he satisfied his curiosity on the way down. Don't ask me way she thought I should read it, because while reading it out loud, I realized it seemed a little morbid and dark.

 But here is the thing. If we are going to follow Christ, then we must die to ourselves! In all seriousness, we are only fooling ourselves if we think we can hold onto this world, while trying to surrender our lives to Christ! It just doesn't work, and we will be unbearably desperate for some sort of relief! 

 I shared that portion of the Song of Solomon, because it identifies with that type of assumption. As the Young woman is eagerly listening to her lover, watching and focusing on his every move; and then she suddenly noticed he was just outside the room, looking in, peering into the room, saying, "Come away with me!"

 He gives her all of the reasons to make her move, but she hides behind the rocks, behind the outcrop on the cliff! What is holding you back? Is it something that you need to step out from behind? Or is it something that is in your way? Hopefully, it is just something you are holding onto, because if it is, sheer gravity will help you let go! 

 Matthew Henry expresses this in a way that might make sense: 'Note: When Christ our Master comes, he calls for us. He comes in his word and ordinances, calls us to them, calls us by them, calls us to himself. He calls for thee in particular, for thee by name (Ps. 27:8); and, if he calls thee, he will cure thee, he will comfort thee." 

 Let go of the root...

"The one thing I ask of the LORD - the thing I seek most - is to live in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, delighting in the LORD'S perfections and meditating in his Temple. For he will conceal me there when troubles come; he will hide me in his sanctuary. He will place me out of reach on a high rock. Then I will hold my head high above my enemies who surround me. At his sanctuary I will offer sacrifices with shouts of joy, singing and praising the LORD with music. Hear me as I pray, O LORD. Be merciful and answer me! My heart has heard you say, "Come and talk with me." And my heart responds, "LORD, I am coming."" (Psalm 27:4-8 NLT) 

No comments:

Post a Comment