Monday, March 21, 2022

"Big Gap!"

 "So there was a division among the people because of him." (John 7:43 KJV) 

  ""I have come to set the world on fire, and I wish it were already burning! I have a terrible baptism of suffering ahead of me, and I am under a heavy burden until it is accomplished. Do you think I have come to bring peace to the earth? No, I have come to divide people against each other! From now on families will be split apart, three in favor of me, and two against-or two in favor and three against. 'Father will be divided against son and son against father; mother against daughter and daughter against mother; and mother-in-law against daughter-in-law and daughter-in-law against mother-in-law.'"" (Luke 12:59-53 NLT)

 Most of us can remember what it was like, having to explain our new life to family and friends; it was testy to say the least; most of my friends wanted nothing to do with me. Certain family members thought I had lost my mind, joined a cult, or was finally feeling the effects of many years of using drugs. It is really not our job to save people, God does that; but it is our job to tell them about Jesus and the wonderful work He has done in our lives. 

 My mom always would say, "Actions speak louder than words!" Something Pastor Bryan said yesterday reminded me of that, as he quoted, "Preach the gospel at all times and if necessary use words." Man, was I ever convicted and ashamed! Here is another quote, if anyone is interested: "No one will care what you have to say, unless they know that you care!" 

 There is really no way that we can close the gap between the new life we have in Christ, and the life of someone who is spiritually dead. But we can pour out our heart to them, care for them, show them that we mean what we say and live like we mean it; and then let God do the rest! It might be tough; we might be tested, having to be shamed or even threatened; but care all the more, because it really does matters! 

 That might not be what you are about; don't worry too much, because it is actually normal for the average believer to hold their peace and not ruffle feathers. That said, you should worry somewhat, because we are all going to be judged according to what we did with what we have been given! Talk about a big gap, looking back, I feel as though I have a great big hole in the 'acts' of doing that which I have been instructed to do! 

 Maybe it's not too late! We can either be a vessel of honor, or a vessel that trash is thrown into. I think I prefer to be one that gives honor to God, not the latter...

"The message of the cross is foolish to those who are headed for destruction! But we who are being saved know it is the very power of God. As the Scriptures say, "I will destroy the wisdom of the wise and discard the intelligence of the intelligent." So where does this leave the philosophers, the scholars, and the world's brilliant debaters? God has made the wisdom of this world look foolish. Since God in his wisdom saw to it that the world would never know him through human wisdom, he has used our foolish preaching to save those who believe. It is foolish to the Jews, who ask for signs from heaven. And it is foolish to the Greeks, who seek human wisdom. So when we preach that Christ was crucified, the Jews are offended, and the Gentiles say it is all nonsense. But to those called by God to salvation, both Jews and Gentiles, Christ is the power of God and the wisdom of God. The foolish plan of God is wiser than the wisest of human plans, and God's weakness is stronger than the greatest of human strength." (Romans 1:18-25 NLT) 

No comments:

Post a Comment