Saturday, August 8, 2020

"Young Woman"

"My lover is mine, and I am his. He browses among the lilies. Before the dawn breezes blow and the night shadows flee, return to me, my love, like a gazelle or a young stag on the rugged mountains." (S.O.S. 2:16-17 NLT)

  So, as if this couldn't get any better, we have something of a riddle, if that is what you like; it is just a little thing to ponder, asking yourself, as Charles Spurgeon suggested: "Which is the greater miracle -that he should be mine, or that I should be his?"
  David Guzik mentions in his commentary, more than once, that Charles Spurgeon preached eight sermons on these two verses. There is quite a lot to look at, but I don't think I will be spending a week or so here; but, then again, that is really not my choice to make. Wouldn't you agree? I have got to admit, I would love to get a little taste of what Spurgeon had, that taste he received that didn't go away and seemed to continue to be added with flavor. I have heard it said over and over, that cows have four stomachs; which is why they take so long to eat what they chew; or maybe it's that they take too long to chew what they eat. No matter, it seems like a lot to chew!
  My hope is to be able to get as much as I possibly can from this, whatever that might be, it is not about quantity, but about the quality of what is being said. Does it work for today? Is it going to be enough to make a difference? Can I use it to further my relationship with Christ? These kind of questions and more, those are the things we need to prepare our hearts for, and they should be what we expect to happen!
  I cannot begin to tell you the number of times I have began to hear a message with an expectant heart, and got more than I expected. I remember one such message, one that I will never forget. I was dealing with a little financial issue, and it was a Saturday Men's Conference in San Jose. I was really needing God to take my mind off of my financial problem and put it on Him; and I prayed that He would speak load and clear into my heart. Pastor Damien told us to turn to open our Bibles and turn to a certain Scripture, and no sooner than I turned there, he began to read, and I was undone!
  Talk about being expectant, I could hardly contain my composure. It was not what was said that did that to me, it was how I accepted it into my heart. If you believe that this is God's Word, then make it His words being spoken into your heart, and own them as your very own. He never changes, and neither does His Word...

"For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren. Moreover, whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified." (Romans 8:29-30)

No comments:

Post a Comment