Wednesday, August 19, 2020

"Self-Discipline" -2

"The watchmen that go about the city found me: to whom I said, Saw ye him whom my soul loveth?" (S.O.S. 3:3)

  Where is this city? Who are the watchmen? Interesting questions, but it is important that we see the context of what I believe Solomon felt when he wrote this, because it is extremely important for us to understand where this strange encounter is taking place. As to the weird question about Abel's offering, as it is referred to, and what inspired or compelled him to offer the firstling of his flock; the difference between the two is that of a spiritual need; as one comes needed to be cleansed, while the other comes to be blessed.
  As much as I imagine that it was myself who came to God, it is more than foolishness to believe I could do anything on my own. Left to my own devices, my life was spinning around in circles and had no clue what or who I needed to guide me; let alone, to know that I somehow needed to be saved! And if I did think I needed to be saved, what was it I though that I might need to be saved from?
  In the long and short of this, there is nothing any of have to offer unto God; nothing we have to show Him our commitment and our loyalty; and nothing that we have to increase His love for us, or even make Him change His mind over our situations. If you want to get right down to it, He is the one that offers everything to us: He offers us salvation, His mercy, His grace, and His abundant love; we are the recipient of everything, nothing we have is ours, but sin and sinfulness!
  Believe or not, but even our love, our superficial love, is based upon this or that, and is just what it means, on the surface: it can be put on and taken off as easy as changing your clothes! If we want to know real love, it is only through Him that we can experience what that love even begins to look like, because everything else is love that has no permanence!
  As far as this title goes, I think by now you might understand, self-discipline is almost as useless as anything else we might try to bring to the table! If you think that you have achieved what it takes, How is that been working out for you? You got all of those commandments handled and are you staying in line? Good for you, if you are; but I think there might still be one: Covet is to want something that is not really yours: Any guesses as to what that might be?
  Jesus spoke of this condition, I believe He refereed to it as jealousy, saying, "Is it not lawful for me to do what I will with mine own? Is thine eye evil, because I am good? So the last shall be first, and the first last: for many be called, but few are chosen." (Matthew 20:15-16) It is not all that hard to understand: we are blessed to just be part, to do our part, and to be loved despite the part that of us that is unlovable! Knowing that is the part that helps us enter His rest, which is where we need nothing, but Jesus!
  As incredible as it might seem, those watchmen are a distraction; as much of a distraction as it is for us to pretend that we have what it takes; because that city is the world: and the world offers nothing even close to what we need: Not even close...

"But now God has shown us a new way to be right with him without keeping the requirements of the law, as was promised in the writings of Moses and the prophets long ago. We are made right with God by placing our faith in Jesus Christ. And this is true for everyone who believes, no matter who we are." (Romans 3:21-22) NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment