Sunday, March 24, 2013

"Bondage Breaker"

"Teach me Thy way, O LORD, and lead me in a plain path, because of mine enemies." (Psalms 27:11) If you thought I got a little carried away yesterday, I'm sorry you feel that way; my mom always use to tell me, If you think you smell something stinky, then you better check your own pants first before you start pointing fingers. Here is the thing about learning lessons from God, and what we must always guard our hearts from in the process: most assuredly the lessons that we learn from God are containing things regarding our own hearts and are not necessarily about others! We have this natural tendency to start looking at others first as soon as God places something upon our heart, as if it's not us that stinks, but it's someone else; when in reality, God will place something upon our hearts because our ministry always begins at home first, and our heart is where home is! It's really interesting what the word for "enemies" that David uses in the verse means; it is different than the others that he uses in this Psalm, because these enemies bind you up; which means that there is a vicious circle that you are trapped in, because you really cannot break free from that which binds you. If you consider what David is speaking about with "lead me in a plain path", it means a level place or a level country; a level way of life, an upright life: it is very difficult to try and win a game against an apposing team if the playing field is not level, as in, two people verses twenty! The Apostle Paul referred to a "thorn in his flesh" in 2 Corinthians 12:7, which many believe to be a physical ailment of sorts, but which some think could have been a spiritual infirmity that dealt with something else; I tend to take the side of the spiritual infirmity, and I do so because that portion of Scripture is about "Depending on God", as in "My grace is sufficient for thee: for My strength is made perfect in weakness". (2 Corinthians 12:9) In other words; what we lack in strength, God more than makes up for by His grace!!! Again, I want to remind you that this is a "Prayer of Praise", prayer depicting a petition and praise a celebration, there are two things that are going on here; on the one hand David is petitioning God for strength, and on the other, he is praising Him for His! In other words; it is God alone that is Holy and Righteous, least we forget it..."But this Man, after He offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God; from henceforth expecting till his enemies be made his footstool. For by one offering He hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified. Wherefore the Holy Ghost also is a witness to us: for after that He had said before, This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord; I will put My laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them; and their sins and iniquities will I remember no more." (Hebrews 10:12-17)

No comments:

Post a Comment