Sunday, November 27, 2011

"Perfect Balance"

"O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you? This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by hearing of faith? Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?" (Galatians 3:1-3) I know that I can get caught up in certain topics more than others; sharing the gospel is one that gets to me every time. I think the reason that it does, is because I started off by sharing with everyone that I could, and now, well let's just say that it's a little more selective. I remember having very lengthy debates with several of my Christian brothers about the topic of 'casting my pearls among the swine', where they would tell me to not try and be so persuasive to those that would not listen, but to just walk away if they did not receive my witness; as if I was casting my pearls among the swine in so doing. But me, being as hard headed as I am, pressed on, believing instead that this meant for me not to leave the treasure that was inside of me at their feet, and walk away discouraged and defeated. This is something that caused many hours of spirited debate. At one time, I was like the pesty guy who knew not when to quit; if you didn't like what I had to say today, then you could count on me being back tomorrow! In the passage that Paul had written to the Galatians, there is a very general theme to his message, and it has to do with Jesus Christ being the source of all that we say and do. If anyone was to try and tell me that I could not try to persuade someone who would not listen, because that would be 'casting pearls among the swine', then I would just laugh and say, I am not letting go of these pearls! The main reason for this attitude that I had, was that what I was doing was not because I needed to try and persuade someone to believe, but that I needed to share what was inside of me; even if that might be rejected, I believed that the gospel message was stronger than the most hardened inmate. Here is a real funny thing that I witnessed the other day, when I went to our local Post Office on Thanksgiving Day, there was a J.W. standing out in front with his literature for all to see; the funny thing was, that there was no one around to see them. He might have had better luck if he was standing in front of Wal Mart or Best Buy. Having been raised in that cult, I am well aware of what it is that motivates them to do what they do; which is to do a work for the sake of doing a work, not to share the life changing gospel of Jesus Christ...

No comments:

Post a Comment