Wednesday, November 2, 2011

"The Child of God" -3

"Surely I have behaved and quieted myself, as a child that is weaned of his mother: my soul is even as a weaned child." (Psalms 131:2) Websters defines 'wean' as to cease nursing, and to disengage from habit or pursuit. To truly be weaned in the manner that David is speaking of one must be content before God; yet this contentment that is established within our soul is based upon having been satisfied in God: in Him is completeness of our soul's pursuit. The Hebrew word for weaned is 'Gamal', which primarily means accomplish, to make ripe, to become ripe; to render good. As I was thinking of this in relationship with that of the "Lost Son" from Luke 15, I could not help but think of the son's conversion to good, which we see in verse 17-19: "And when he came to himself, he said, How many hired servants of my father's have bread enough to spare, yet I hunger! I will arise and go to my father, and will say unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and before thee, and am no more worthy to be called thy son: make me as one of thy hired servants". In this example of what is being given by our Lord, it is the lost son that has come to his senses and realized that the best place to be is in his father's house, no matter in what capacity, but that just being there is where he will be taken care of. It is this manner of his realization that has completed his soul's pursuit, in that he has come to realize that in his father's house is comfort and joy. How often do we experience this same type of pursuit in our own lives? I have tried to count them, but they appear on so many different levels, and the time periods vary so much, that I just can not put a number on how many times I have found myself feeding with the swine. Never really our intention, but it sure can lead there without noticing where you are; until you stop long enough to take an inventory of where you are at and where you could be. But here is the greatest thing of all: He is faithful to never stop loving me!!! "And he arose, and came to his father. But when he was a long way off, his father saw him, and had compassion, and ran, and fell on his neck, and kissed him." (Luke 15:20) He does not care where I have been, or even what I have done, only that I am coming back to Him; and then He runs to me!!! Do you see the meaning in that? As if to say, that not a moment to spare should get in the way of Him making sure that I am safe. I don't know what a long way off means, but I picture it as being far enough to make the father to run, yet close enough that the father knew it was his son coming down the road. Our Father in heaven loves us! Do you see that? Is your soul weaned as a child in knowing that? "Let Israel (your name goes here) hope (to wait with expectation) in the Lord from henceforth and for ever (never doubting His love)." (Psalms 131:3)

No comments:

Post a Comment