Friday, January 7, 2022

"The Departing Ones"

 "From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him." (John 6:66 KJV)

  "These people left our churches, but they never really belonged with us: otherwise they would have stayed with us. When they left, it proved that they did not belong with us." (1 John 2:19 NLT) 

 You know what I have to say about this, because it all comes down to what you were looking for and how important it is for you to keep what you found! I know that it is not all that easy sometimes to see it, but most people are driven away from following the Lord by being offended or disappointed, in one way or another. Usually, it is the later one, when it comes to what they thought was a personal relationship; when it comes to leaving a church, it is usually the first. 

 One might think that this was more about people being confused and misunderstanding what Jesus had said; all of that is good and well, if it had really just been about a misunderstanding. As we will see, it was completely about what they thought they came for, verses what they were being offered. You can call the complexity of that the same of misunderstanding, if you want; but it really comes down to the physical benefits verses the spiritual benefits.

 I have seen so many people walk away, disappointed that they were not promised happiness and the good life that they were expecting; instead, they were experiencing rejection from their families, their friends, and fellow workers. Never mind, that the trials, but the things they thought would change in them, seemed to become more and more present and harder to deal with. Then again, some just show up for the free food! 

 I can recall my calling to that meeting, as it was, I did not even think about what I was expecting; it surely was not about a need for happiness, because I was pretty much happy, even though I was in jail. I had plenty of things to do, I liked the jobs given to me, and I was anticipating getting out soon. As far as trying to get my life cleaned up, I had pretty much already established that my old life of dealing drugs was over; I had a really good job waiting for me to get back to, when I was released. 

 My only thought as I headed down to that meeting, was that I needed to go; it was as if there was something calling me, and for some reason it is was important for me to go! Little did I know that it was about eternity and meeting the Savior of my soul! That encounter blew my mind and broke my heart, all at the same time. Nothing else mattered, absolutely nothing: I needed Salvation...

"Think back on those early days when you first learned about Christ. Remember how you remained faithful even though it meant terrible suffering. Sometimes you were exposed to public ridicule and were beaten, and sometimes you helped others who were suffering the same things. You suffered along with those who were thrown into jail, and when all you owned was taken from you, you accepted it with joy. You knew there were better things waiting for you that will last forever." (Hebrews 10:32-34 NLT) 

No comments:

Post a Comment