Sunday, March 4, 2018

"Need to be Nourished"

"Their soul abhorreth all manner of meat; and they draw near unto the gates of death."
(Psalms 107:18)

 Here is a little twist I see could be happening, or left unchecked. Our phones and tablets are good for using as tools for looking up Scriptures and searching for commentary, but when it comes to reading the Bible, there is nothing better than the actual Book! I get it, everyone is looking to streamline their lives. People are almost naturally looking for ways to make anything easier or simpler; any task or any recipe, there is always a way to make it easier or faster. That does not work with God's word! His word needs to be meditated upon and studied; it must be chewed on, just as the cow chews cud! If we fail to study His word, then it is just as well that we do not eat; at least then our bodies will fail before our souls. Call me old fashion, but I personally prefer to run my hand across the pages, to feel the texture of the page, and to flip the pages back and forth from chapter to chapter. I was amazingly surprised to see the number of men at the conference yesterday that did not actually have a Bible. It was really hard to tell that we were at a church event, if not for all the shirts that people wore with Christian art on them. I use my phone and tablet all the time for searching Scriptures, so I have nothing against using technology. What I do not like to see is men not carrying their Bibles; it just does not set right with me that they would trade a sword for a flashlight! It's not just a book, it is a symbol and a gesture of taking a stand; in a world where God's word is being looked down upon, holding your Bible makes you take that a stand for God's word. When I taught Sunday School, third grade was my favorite age group to teach. I could actually talk all of the kids into bringing their Bibles to class, and would even give them an incentive to do so. I could also get them all to pray, and just pray out load, but to know that their prayers count and are important to God. Six grade students were quit harder, they did not think that carrying a Bible around was cool, so if they brought one, it was hidden in a bag or under their coat. It is okay to use our technology, but let's not take away our ability to a warrior on the battlefield. Does it appear obvious that the lack of Bibles being carried is a lack of prepared soldiers? I made room in my Bible cover for my phone. I am sure they sell Bible covers that have pockets for phones or small tablets. Anywho; this is for the children; they need to start to carry a Sword...

"But you must remain faithful to the things you have been taught. You know they are true, for you know you can trust those who taught you. You have been taught the holy Scriptures from childhood, and they have given you the wisdom to receive the salvation that comes by trusting in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right. God uses it to prepare and equip his people to do every good work." (2 Timothy 3:14-17) NLT


No comments:

Post a Comment