Wednesday, January 11, 2017

"The First Step is Forever"

"For I have said, Mercy shall be built up for ever: thy faithfulness shalt thou establish in the very heavens." (Psalms 89:2)
I guess it's pretty good for us to come to terms with our position in Christ; it just makes more sense to let that position stand based upon His faithfulness and not upon our own; if you get my meaning. To look at this from a little different perspective, a lot of what happens here does not count towards our eternal standing and our eternal position in Christ. The greatest thing that has ever taken place on this earth is the thing that matters the most, and that took place on a wooden cross, over two thousand years ago. Everything leading up to that moment, and everything since, was looking towards that very special moment in time, the time when God Himself would take the penalty for the sins of His creation. I can understand why there is doubt about the significant event that took place, and the reason it had to happen the way that it did; I was once totally unmoved by what had happened, and just the mention of His name was enough to make me become defensive and turn away. I will never forget a time I was on the ship, in the Navy, forty years ago; a couple of friends invited me to join them in a Bible study, and I refused to take part in it. Later on that evening, as I was busy doing something else, I stumbled into their study; I guess if I had asked them where they were going to meet, I could have avoided it; but nonetheless, I felt ashamed for having said no, and felt even worse for turning around and going out the way I came in. I could have avoided a whole lot of misery had I listened to that call or invitation; which ever way you look at it, Christ was knocking on my heart and I refused to open the door. That said, had I actually listened then, I might not have meet my beautiful wife, because it was my sinful life that got me kicked out of the Navy earlier than I would have gotten out, and I meet her right after my discharge. I was discharged in February 1979 and our son was born December 2nd 1979; you do the math, we didn't waste any time making a baby together. Then it would be less than two years after my son was born that I would be born again, and nothing in my life mattered more than that moment; it was my moment that meet the most important moment ever! Picture that, because Jesus said, "As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: that whosoever beliveth in him should not perish, but have eternal life." I might not have been there over two thousand years ago, but I meet Him there in September 1981...
"For example, there was God's promise to Abraham. Since there was no one greater to swear by, God took an oath in his own name, saying: "I will certainly bless you, and I will multiply your descendants beyond number." Then Abraham waited patiently, and he received what God had promised. Now when people take an oath, they call someone greater than themselves to hold them to it. And without any question that oath is binding. God also bound himself with an oath, so that those who received the promise could be perfectly sure that he would never change his mind. So God has given both his promise and his oath. These two things are unchangeable because it is impossible for God to lie. Therefore, we who have fled to him for refuge can have great confidence as we hold to the hope that lies before us. This hope is a strong and trustworthy anchor for our souls. It leads us through the curtain into God's inner sanctuary. Jesus has already gone in there for us. He has become our eternal High Priest in the order of Melchizedek." (Hebrews 6:13-20) NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment