Monday, January 9, 2017

"God's Agreement with David"

PSALMS 89 [Maschil of Ethan the Ezarhite.]
As if there is no conclusion to Psalms 88, we need only move on to Psalms 89, the conclusion of Book Three of the Psalms. I find it rather interesting that this Psalm could have been written by someone who outlived king Solomon, long enough to see his son breakup the kingdom of Israel. It very well could have been; and if so, then we can see the result of what happens when the man fails to be the spiritual leader of his home, let alone the nation he has ruled over. The word "Maschil" is a word we should know by now, it means to contemplate or consider; as a form of instruction, it paints a picture of real life situations and how we need to adjust to them based upon God's promises. That's more often easier said than done, especially if we are distracted in our Christian walk by the things of this world. And man oh man, do we have many different ways to get distracted! It should be noted that God never changed His mind about His promise or agreement with David, even though seven years later, David sins with Bathsheba, and ends up having her husband put to death to try and cover up his sin. We have talked about that before, and it's not something that you want to have on your list of accomplishments. David was a great king over Israel, but he was a terrible father of his children. And Solomon was called the richest and wisest king that ever lived, but obviously wisdom is not something you pass down to your children, it's a gift from God. No, I think that our children need to be raised up to love and fear God; to cherish instruction from God's word, and to base all of their hope upon His promises. Back to the point about the last Psalm not having a conclusion, as I mentioned before, nothing is concluded until we have passed from this earth; and even then, things we have done in this life, continue to live on and on, like ripples on the lake. And even though the ripples might sooner or later cease, they wash up things onto the shore for others to discover. In other words, somewhere, somehow, we need to fix our thoughts and our gaze upon something that has a conclusion and does not change...
""Now go and say to my servant David, 'This is what the LORD of Heaven's Armies has declared: I took you from tending sheep in the pasture and selected you to be the leader of my people Israel. I have been with you wherever you have gone, and I have destroyed all your enemies before your eyes. Now I will make your name as famous as anyone who has ever lived on the earth! And I will provide a homeland for my people Israel, planting them in a secure place where they will never be disturbed. Evil nations won't oppress them as they've done in the past, starting from the time I appointed judges to rule my people Israel. And I will give you rest from your enemies. "Furthermore, the LORD declares that he will make a house for you -a dynasty of kings! For when you die and are buried with your ancestors, I will raise up one of your ancestors, I will raise up one of your descendants, your own offspring, and I will make his kingdom strong. He is the one who will build a house -a temple -for my name. And I will secure his royal throne forever. I will be his father, and he will be my son. If he sins, I will correct and discipline him with the rod, like any father would do. But my favor will not be taken from him as I took it from Saul, whom I removed from your sight. Your house and your kingdom will continue before me for all time, and your throne will be secure forever.'"" (2 Samuel 7:5-16) NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment