Tuesday, September 16, 2014

"God Does Not Lie!"

"As we have heard, so have we seen in the city of the LORD of hosts, in the city of our God: God will establish it for ever. Selah." (Psalms 48:8) Some mornings are harder than others, this one is hard! Between Romans 7 and Genesis 15, I believe that God is really speaking something very profound into my heart, and I am trying very hard to listen. Something very interesting about the whole "contract" thing from Genesis 15, which is where God tells Abram to bring all those animals; basically God was telling Abram that it was time to sign a contract. And as was the custom of that time, the pieces of animal parts were spread out upon the ground, and the two parties to a contract would walk among the pieces, repeating their part of the covenant. Interesting enough, when it came time for the signing, only God walked among those pieces in the form of a 'smoking furnace' and a 'burning lamp', while Abram just watched. In other words, Abram did not sign the contract, only God signed it! I hope we get the significant meaning in that! God signed the covenant for both Him and Abram, so the fulfillment of the deal was all up to God! Fast forward to Romans 7, Oh my! What does it actually mean to be released from the law? And why can't we simply walk in that without trying to add something superficial to His grace? Do you think Abram went about saying, "Hey, I just signed a contract with God!" No; he went about saying, "God has promised my descendants this land!" God established and signed that contract all by Himself, all that Abram needed to do was accept it and believe God does not lie! It's really a good thing that Abram did not need to sign that contact, because then the contract would have been flawed. God keeps saying to us, "It's by My grace", and we keep answering, "Ya but"; "Ya but, I have this thing in my life"; "Ya but, I can't seem to just get it right"; "Ya but, I can't see the righteousness that You have accounted to me". I hope you see the point, and how this point lines up with the verse above; if you don't, maybe it's kind of like all of those "Ya but's", which need to be turned into "Yes Lord's", as in, I see Jesus! He has delivered me from this thing; He has made me right with God; and He is my righteousness; now just deal with that, because that is God's covenant with us, and only He has signed it, therefore it is not flawed by our inadequacies... "Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye shall be married to another, even to Him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God. For when we were in the flesh, the motions of sins, which were by the law, did work in our members to bring forth fruit unto death. But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of the Spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter." (Romans 7:4-6)

No comments:

Post a Comment