Friday, February 24, 2012

"Crucify That Flesh!"

"My soul is sore vexed: but Thou, O LORD, how long?" (Psalms 6:3) Did you think I was kidding about using this title for this verse? Well, I was not! The first thing that I want to look at in this verse, is the question, "but Thou, O LORD, how long?" One way that this question could be directed, is that of a lack of patience, whereas David could be saying, How long do I need to be suffering with this pain or trouble? This could very well be the case; however, there is another question that could be asked, and it has to do with the battle itself, as in, How long till this battle can be won? And then again; we have another question to consider; which is one in which I believe that we all ask at one time or another, and it is the question: How long, O LORD, till your mercy runs out? In other words; how long will God tolerate my rebellion in this certain area of my life? And with that, we have another question which goes along with that, which is, How long till my tomorrows end? We can only put it off for so long, because we never know when our tomorrows will be no more! Now then; about the "soul" which David is speaking of, when he says, "My soul is sore vexed"; because, this is the life form of the inner man; the breath of life, which is the eternal soul that I was speaking of earlier; and is that which I was asking about it knowing the standing that it has with God, even though the flesh might not realize that true standing. The reason that this is the case, is because the soul is a spiritual life form; and being that this is the case, it has a more direct connection with the spiritual world, of which the mortal flesh cannot detect. The idea that is given by "sore vexed", is one of muchness, or exceedingly more trouble than the flesh; being the flesh which was spoken of in verse two. The point being, that even though the flesh is troubled, the soul is more troubled; and the reason being, is that the soul knows more about it's condition, or it's standing with God. Another good example of what I am talking about, would be our quest to fill the void in our lives, prior to coming to Christ. Driven by the desires of the flesh, yet motivated by the need of our soul, we tried numerous things to fill that void; all of which failed to satisfy the need that our soul desired; until that one day, when we made the right choice, and that need was met! Well, here we have another level of the soul's need, but this one requires that the flesh be crucified with Christ; meaning that the desires of the flesh are no longer considered, because the flesh has been nailed to the cross, along side of Christ. It might be hard to picture how this works, as we struggle to place ourselves upon a cross; but this is the work of the Holy Spirit, so we really do not need to worry about the details of how it is done; only that we surrender over our lives, for Him to do it! Besides; when Jesus died upon the cross, He did not die for just our sins, but He died for the sinful man in the process; which means that He died in our place, and that it should have been us that was hanging upon that cross, and not Him!!! However, it was only Him that could have paid the price for us, seeing that He alone was righteous, and that we are not; therefore, our death upon the cross would not have mattered much. But now; now that we have been made free from sin, and the sinful man has been made free from the bondage of sin, we must take our rightful place alongside of Christ, so that the man of sin can be declared dead, and he can live in Christ; or better yet, so that Christ can live in him... "And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and the lusts." (Galatians 5:24) "I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life that I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave Himself for me." (Galatians 2:20)

No comments:

Post a Comment