Friday, June 10, 2011

"Trusting In Love" -2

"I sleep, but my heart waketh: it is the voice of my beloved that knocketh, saying, Open to me, my sister, my love, my dove, my undefiled: for my head is filled with dew, and my locks with the drops of the night. I have put off my coat; how shall I put it on? I have washed my feet; how shall I defile them? My beloved put in his hand by the hole of the door, and my bowels were moved for him. I rose up to open to my beloved; and my hands dropped with myrrh, and my fingers with sweet smelling myrrh, upon the handles of the lock. I opened to my beloved; but my beloved had withdrawn himself, and was gone: my soul failed when he spake: I sought him, but I could not find him; I called him, but he gave no answer." (The Song of Solomon 5:2-6) Having tried to talk about what passion is to love, I felt drained and in need of a fresh dose of it myself; but there is something else that must be said about surrendering oneself, and trusting in love: it never misses an opportunity to be experienced. This is really quite strange to try and put into words, but much like the verse above which speaks about "I have put off my coat; how shall I put it on?", it is that form of lack of surrender which I am trying to address. To better understand what the heck I am talking about, you should think of this more in the light of how we do, than what we do. A good example of that would be the response you might get from your kid when you ask them to do something, and they respond by saying, I don't feel like it, or some such thing. It is on a whole different level, but it is much the same; the difference however is that for us and God, it is not. Here we are talking about something of far greater importance, and if I was going to try and sum up what trusting in love really means, then I would explain it as so: to attach oneself, confide in it, and feel safe; confident, secure and careless: this type of hope is a confident expectation, not a constant anxiety. We can truly relax when we know God loves us and is in control! Having said that, let me take it to the next level of trust, which is our heart; because that requires the effort to get up out of bed and open the door...

No comments:

Post a Comment