Monday, June 6, 2011

"No Greater Love" -4

Now that you might be confused and left wondering if I am on drugs, let me assure you that I am not; however, I must confess, that this portion of my life is more challenged than ever before. As I think about love, and what we take for granted each and every day, I have to wonder why so many people in the world do not love with a love that is sacrificial. I do believe that we have ability to love in a way that gives of ourselves, because we can see examples of that love in the pages of history; however, many listed there had been killed for love of country or some such thing. Right now I am thinking of the love between a husband and a wife, which must be one that is sacrificial in order to withstand the moments of neglect or the frustrations of being human. We can not have perfect lives, because this is not a perfect world; but we can have perfect love, because that perfect love is not of this world. To give an example of what I mean, let me try and illustrate what perfect love is: perfect love is love that puts the cares and needs of someone else above that of oneself; perfect love requires the giver to surrender the idea of measuring the love that they might give; perfect love is not based upon being responded to, but is based upon the desire to love, regardless of the result. This type of love is not of this world, because it does not have it's reward guaranteed in this world, but in another; it's benefit is given by the fulfillment of what love is meant to stand for. And when I say that we take this love for granted every day, I mean that we lack the desire to make it happen; or for a lack of a better word: to crave for the chance to love in that way. Crave is a pretty harsh word to use, but it is actually the word that best describes what I mean; because it is a word that expresses what it means to greatly desire something; to want it so bad that it hurts. This might be considered as heartbroken, or a heart that has an ungovernable passion to see it's self expressed; not caring what is in store for the giver, but only that it can give, and keep on giving. (Okay, maybe I am having flashbacks?) "Marvel not, my brethren, if the world hate you. We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethren. He that loveth not his brother abideth in death. Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer: and ye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him. Hereby perceive we the love of God, because He laid down His life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren." (1 John 3:13-16)

No comments:

Post a Comment