Thursday, April 22, 2010

ISAIAH 55:8 - "Lost In Translation"

"And it shall come to pass in the Last Days, saith God, I will pour out of My Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:" (Acts 2:17) There is something to be said for being able to communicate. It really makes the world seem smaller when more and more of it's inhabitants can speak to one another. In the book of Genesis 11:1-9, we see the story of the Tower of Babel. Here we see the inhabitants of the earth, after the flood, traveling from the east and dwelling in a plain in the land of Shinar. In verse 4 we see them make a proclamation: "And they said, Go to, let us build us a city, and a tower, whose top may reach to the heaven; and let us make a name, lest we be scattered abroad upon the face of the whole earth." This time period was about 100 years after the flood, and already the people had started to get sideways; they entered into a day which they were full of pride, and wanted to make a name for themselves; this was corporate pride. As they began to erect this tower, they believed that they could reach the heights of heaven; to reach up to the height of God; as if they could get high enough to be able to be at His level. In verses 5-7, we see God's response to this endeavor: "And the Lord came down to see the city, and the tower, which the children of men builded. And the Lord said, Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do: and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do. Go to, let Us go down, and there confound their language, that they may not understand one another's speech." Well, as the story goes; God confused their language so that they could no longer communicate with one another, and they split off into separate directions, leaving off from building their tower. Now it seems that we are coming full circle again; as the world comes closer and closer together, there are new discoveries and quests being made every day. Man is again wanting to make a name for himself; to even think that he can create life, or alter the earth's climate and atmosphere. Thinking once again that they can reach the heights of heaven, and that they can somehow come to a point to where God is; yet get this; all the while they deny that God exist at all. You have to believe that we are definitely living in the Last Days! There is something profound that you may or may not have noticed about this chapter 55 in Isaiah; up to this point, the first seven verses were Isaiah declaring a 'Wo', or "Listen Up"; now from verse 8 to the end, it is God's turn to speak; and when God speaks, we must listen! The problem with listening to God speak, is that He does not speak our language; or better put, we don't know how to listen to His language. So in order to be able to listen to Him speak to us, we must employ the services of an interpreter; and that interpreter is the Holy Spirit. As we move forward in this text, there are a few things that we must understand and remember, and they are spelled out by God in His opening statement: "For My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways My ways, saith the Lord". I do not want to even begin to assume that I know more than I ought to know; but this much I do know; God has given me a gift, and that gift is the ability to articulate a thought. This is something that I have had from as far back as I can remember. In grade school, I remember being sent to a psychiatrist so that they could determine why I needed to analyze everything and why I was such a dreamer. As I ponder that and this gift that I believe God has given me, I can only wonder if there was a reason that this chapter in His word became so pressing upon my heart. Was God showing me something that I needed to share, or was it meant for me? I am beginning to think more and more, that it was for such a time as this! I really, really believe that we are living in, and seeing the unfolding of the Last Days!!! I remember a quote that I read from Albert Einstein, where he was asked about his 'Theory of Relativity' and his knowledge of it. In his own opinion of what he had done, he really did not think that he had thought of anything new; but he believed that all he was able to do, was to express it in the form of an equation. In other words, what he thought of, had been thought of before, he just was able to articulate it on paper. This is much the way I feel; I am really not thinking of anything new, that others have not seen before, I just have a gift of being able to articulate it; to paint a picture of words. Although, sometimes abstract, they are pictured, non the less. The real problem that I have, is that many of the things I see, can not be expressed quick enough to paint a perfect picture that is clear enough for all to understand; thus there sometimes requires an interpreter. Much like Einstein's theory of relativity, which he put forth in an equation; you must know to interpret that equation, to really understand how it works. The thoughts of God must be interpreted by God; that is where the Holy Spirit gets to open the eyes of our hearts, so the we may see and receive what He is saying. "And on My servants and on My handmaidens I will pour out in those days of My Spirit; and they shall prophesy: And I will show wonders in heaven above, and signs in the earth beneath; blood, and fire, and vapour of smoke: The sun will be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before that great and notable day of the Lord come: And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the Name of the Lord shall be saved." (Acts 2:18-21)

No comments:

Post a Comment