Sunday, December 25, 2022

"The Little Drummer Boy"

 "Then took Mary a pound of ointment of spikenard, very costly, and anointed the feet of Jesus, and wiped his feet with her hair: and the house was filled with the odour of the ointment." (John 12:3 KJV)

  "You have captured my heart, my treasure, my bride. You hold it hostage with one glance of your eyes, with a single jewel of your necklace. Your love delights me, my treasure, my bride. Your love is better than wine, your perfume more fragrant than spices." (Song of Songs 4:9-10 NLT)

 Just so you know, this song, "The Little Drummer Boy," tore me up last Saturday at Pathway. I wanted to try and hide, but there was really no way to escape, and I felt as though I was tied to my chair, weeping as if I had torn my soul apart and my heart was broken to pieces.

 That might sound a little extreme, but this song has been my favorite Christmas song, since I heard it in the movie released in 1968. I was ten, a little confused about who Jesus was, and was having serious doubts about the religion my family was in. We did not have a Christmas that year, because the J.W. religion does not celebrate, pretty much anything. I wanted to join the Boy Scouts that year, but was told that I could not, because the flag would be on my uniform, and because the Boy Scouts honor the flag.

 We were allowed to watch the Christmas specials, and this one, "The Little Drummer Boy," really spoke to my heart! There was something missing in our religion, because they also did not celebrate Jesus! To them, Jesus was not God, therefore, it was not such a big deal that He came here and did what He did. Having seen the missing parts, I guess I just remembered something extra-ordinary about the fact that worship is extremely important, especially when you are worshipping Jesus!

 This act that was performed by Mary, really didn't need to be done; but it had to be done, because Mary wanted to anoint Jesus! Her heart was obviously broken, having heard Him say what would happen, and how He would die; so, this was the best thing she could do, nothing else really would have mattered. 

 Sometimes, even little things that we do for the Lord, can become very big things in the Kingdom of God; most of which, we will not even know about, until we see everything in Heaven. By the way, according to my calculations, the Father is the one that will pull the switch, as the Son is waiting for the Father to say, "Go get your Bride!" What is the Father waiting for? It could be you...

"You should know this, Timothy, that in the last days there will be very different times. For people will love only themselves and their money. They will be boastful and proud, scoffing at God, disobedient to their parents, and ungrateful. They will consider nothing sacred. They will be unloving and unforgiving; they will slander others and have no self-control. They will be cruel and hate what is good. They will betray their friends, be reckless, be puffed up with pride, and love pleasure rather than God. They will act religious, but they will reject the power that could make them godly. Stay away from people like that!" (2 Timothy 3:1-5 NLT) 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment