Tuesday, December 27, 2022

"Momentary View"

"Why was not this ointment sold for three hundred pence, and given to the poor?" (John 12:5 KJV)

  "The LORD of Heaven's Armies says to the priests: "A son honors his father, and a servant respects his master, where is the honor and respect I deserve? You have shown contempt for my name! "But you ask, 'How have we ever shown contempt for your name?' "You have shown contempt by offering defiled sacrifices on the altar. "Then you ask, 'How have we defiled the sacrifices?' "You defile them by saying the altar of the LORD deserves no respect. When you give blind animals as sacrifices, isn't wrong? And isn't wrong to offer animals that are crippled and diseased? Try giving gifts like that to your governor, and see how pleased he is!" says the LORD of Heavens Armies." (Malachi 1:6-8 NLT)

 It's one thing to think God doesn't see what you are doing; but it's totally something else, to think God sees you, but cannot figure out what you do, and why you do it! God demands a little respect, but how often does it happen that we do not respect Him? I am guilty of trespassing more often than I would care to mention; but iniquity, whether we know it or not, is to plan and study a way to sin against God. 

 This is pretty much the attitude of someone with a momentary view; living for the moment, as if the future doesn't matter at all, only what happening now, only what pleasure is lived out now, the future doesn't matter more than this, right now! I know what that is like, as many of us surely do. Having lived my teenage years thinking I wouldn't live to reach thirty, I spent at least a decade of my life living as if I needed to get it all out, while I had the chance.

 When I became a child of God, all that changed, the clock was reset to eternity! Now I have an eternal view, one that is based upon the things we cannot see but are yet to come! Does that mean I no longer care about this temporary existence? I wish I could sort though some of that; but it seems that there are cycles we just fall into. 

 Call it life, call it sin, call it what you want; I am pretty sure it is just the fact that we are human...

"Live happily with the woman you love through all the meaningless days of life that God has given you under the sun. The wife God gives you is your reward for all your earthly toil. Whatever you do, do well. For when you go to the grave, there will be no work or planning or knowledge or wisdom." (Ecclesiastes 9:9-10 NLT) 

No comments:

Post a Comment