Sunday, December 18, 2022

"The Preparation"

 "And the Jews' passover was nigh at hand: and many went out of the country up to Jerusalem before the passover, to purify themselves." (John 11:55 KJV) 

  "O my people, listen to my instructions. Open your ears to what I am saying, for I speak to you in a parable. I will teach you hidden lessons from our past - stories our ancestors handed down to us. We will not hide these truths from our children; we will tell the next generation about the glorious deeds of the LORD, about his power and his mighty wonders." (Psalm 78:1-4 NLT)

 Have you ever had a very special event that you were both excited about, but at the same time, you were almost dreading for it to happen? Well, here is something that might not be a surprise to some, but Jesus looked forward to this day, but now that it was upon Him, the reality of being a sacrificial Lamb, is really started to manifest itself, that it will soon happen. 

 True, the Son of God knows the power and the might that will become of this; but the Son of Man is being made to face the weakness and hurt that will be required of Him. I cannot begin to imagine what this was like, because Jesus had the power to do anything He might want to do; but He chose weakness in order to accept the hurt! 

 I hope you somewhat understood what I said: He accepted the pain and the hurt, even though He had the power to reject it or make it go away! We really could never understand what that might be like, because none of us have the ability to do what Jesus could do but chose not to do.

 As for this purification ritual, this was to prepare themselves for Passover. If you are familiar with the story, the preparation of Passover originally required the sacrificial lamb, the blood of that lamb to be sprinkled upon the door posts, the lamb to be prepared to eat, and the household fully dressed and standing around the table, prepared to move. 

 I know it might be a stretch, but this was mostly about preparing to meet with God; therefore, you are ready for what might happen, because you expect to be changed! I really hope that is what we expect when we come together to celebrate what Jesus has done, because that is what is meant to happen...

""When the people return to their homeland, they will remove every trace of their vile images and detestable idols. And I will give them singleness of heart and put a new spirit within them. I will take away their stony, stubborn heart and give then a tender, responsive heart, so they will obey my decrees and regulations. Then they will truly be my people, and I will be their God."" (Ezekiel 11:18-20 NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment