Wednesday, May 13, 2020

"Submissive Faith"

"Praise him with the timbrel and dance: praise him with stringed instruments and organs." (Psalms 150:4)

  Maybe this is too challenging of a subject to discuss openly, but at this point, I hardly think it will matter; as much as I hate to admit it, being submissive is probably not my strongest suit. That said, I have certain areas in my life where I can see God working those things out; I just hope and pray that there is still time enough to make good use of the results! If you are wondering what submissive faith might look like, you are probably not alone. There is a rumor going around that Christians are guided and led around with some kind of blind faith; as if they really don't see what God is doing or where He is leading them, they just bounce off the walls and wander around aimlessly waiting for doors to open and close. I would like to take issue with that, if you are feeling that is what faith looks like; because faith is not faith if there is no substance; and if there is substance, then there is order; and if there is order, then there is a plan of action; and if there is a plan of action, then there is something that we must submit to doing, in order for that action to be performed! Case in point, Abraham and his plan of action, it required him to pack up all of his things and leave that place God wanted him to leave. I think where this blind faith idea might come from, is the fact that God did not specify where it was that he was going to end up; therefore he just went, trusting that God would soon show him where he was going. Oddly enough, the substance of God's request did not get fully obeyed until Abraham and Lot parted ways: God's initial request was for Abraham to separate himself from all of his previous life, saying, "Get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and from thy fathers house, unto a land that I will show thee: and I will make of thee a great nation, and I will bless thee, and make thy name great; and thou shalt be a blessing: and I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee: and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed." (Genesis 12:1-3) So, to be completely submissive, every detail of God's request must be followed. Does that mean God will not bless you for following some and not all? No, God will honor the parts that we do follow; but the fullness of the blessing will not be realized until we fully submit. According to the timeline in my Bible, that was only about three years time. How long has it been for you? I couldn't help but think of Abrahams conversation with God, saying, "Would you destroy it if there was 50 righteous?" "What about 10?" Anywho; there is so much we have got to be thankful for; the older I get, the more I realize how blessed I really am...

"Now some may argue, "Some people have faith; others have good deeds." But I say, "How can you show me your faith if you don't have good deeds? I will show you my faith by my good deeds." You say you have faith, for you believe that there is one God. Good for you! Even the demons believe this, and the tremble in terror. How foolish! Can't you see that faith without good deeds is useless?" (James 2:18-20) NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment