Saturday, April 4, 2020

"The What If"

"He showeth his word unto Jacob, his statutes and his judgements unto Israel." (Psalms 147:19)

  So, we are a little bit like a kite; in the way that God makes us, lets us go, guides us using the wind to push us up and down and all around; and then when we get tangled in a tree, He gets us out, mends us, and lets us out again. Don't ask me where that came from, I was just waiting for God to give me something inspiring to share. Most of the kites that I have made, they get used once or twice, and then they get lost in the garage or attic. I heard a little message yesterday that seemed pretty amazing, which has to do with the times in the Bible where it says, "And the LORD God changed his mind." As if God could, or even would! If He knows all things, from the beginning to the end, why would He need to change His mind? Have you ever been promised something by your parents, and then they use that promise as leverage against you, in order to get you to obey? In a weird and mysterious way, that is pretty much what I see this verse is really talking about. You know, having been a parent myself, and having done the very thing that my parents did to me, I know for a fact that they never really meant that they did not want to give me what they promised; that they were just hoping that I would do right, so they could fulfill the promise that they made me. If that is what happens to our earthly fathers, imagine the joy and pleasure it gives for the Father that loves us unconditionally! I use the BlueLetterBible to look up the meaning of many of these words; and it could be a mistake, but the Blue Letters on the page after, "word," are listed twice. If it is intentional, I can understand it, because God usually does need to tell us to do something more than once. Basically, the point I am trying to make, has to do with the promises God makes to us, when He changes us; and then all the things He prescribes and decides to do to us, in order to carry them out...

"So you see, God chooses to show mercy to some, and he chooses to harden the hearts of others so they refuse to listen. Well then, you might say, "Why does God blame people for not responding? Haven't they simply done what he makes them do?" No, don't say that. Who are you, a mere human being, to argue with God? Should the thing that was created say to the one who created it, "Why have you made me like this?" When the potter makes jars out of clay, doesn't he have a right to use the same lump of clay to make one jar for decoration and another to throw garbage into? In the same way, even though God has the right to show his anger and his power, he is very patient with those on whom his anger falls, who are destined for destruction. He does this to make the riches of his glory shine even brighter on those to whom he shows mercy, who were prepared in advance for glory. And we are among those whom he selected, both from the Jews and from the Gentles. Concerning the Gentiles, God says in the prophecy of Hosea, ""Those who were not my people, I will now call my people. And I will love those whom I did not love before."" (Romans 9:18-25) NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment