Thursday, November 29, 2018

"To Wit"

"My soul melteth for heaviness: strengthen thou me according to thy word." (Psalms 119:28)

  It might not seem very humorous to some, but there are times when I truly do believe God is actually laughing at my foolishness. His humor is not that of making fun of the stupid things that I do; His humor is more towards my disregard to what I know is right, yet I still don't do it. I think I remember my mom having the same kind of humor when I told her I did what she said, and she knew full well that I didn't really do it; she would say, "Don't make me laugh, I know more than you think I know." Heaviness of heart is something that is closely related to unconfessed sin. This is not the kind problem we can correct on our own, although we repeatedly try to correct it, over and over again. We think, 'If I just don't do that anymore, then the heaviness will go away.' Unfortunately, the heart is not very responsive to inaction; which means, not doing something you are not wanting to do does not do anything to relieve the discomfort you feel towards doing it. If that makes any sense at all, it is only because it is true! If you are looking for a true remedy to the heaviness, it is called replacement! That's right! You want to find a cure for that heavy heart, for first step is confession, but the real cure is found in filling our hearts with the word of God! Jesus shared a little story, maybe it was a parable, but I seriously doubt it. He spoke about a man that had been cleansed of a demonic spirit, and after he had been cleansed, the demon returned finding the house all 'swept and garnished,' so he gets seven more spirits and returns; the state of the man is worst than before. (Luke 11:24 & Matthew 12:43) He could have been speaking just about unclean spirits, but I truly believe He was speaking about filling up the emptiness with the things of God, primarily, His word. There are many other things that count also, but in reference to the verses above, it is that word of God that will strengthen us and take away the heaviness. I guess if we wanted to make this something easy to relate to, it would be like our need to replace our sinful desire with a desire for God's word. In all honesty, not doing what you want to do does not bring much happiness; so the best thing to do, is to replace that something bad with something good and better; and this is where asking God for help is so vitally important...

""O Jacob, how can you say the LORD does not see your troubles? O Israel, how can you say God ignores your rights? Have you never heard? Have you never understood? The LORD is the everlasting God, the Creator of all the earth. He never grows weak or weary. No one can measure the depths of his understanding. He gives power to the weak and strength to the powerless. Even youths will become weak and tired, and young men will fall in exhaustion. But those who trust in the LORD will find new strength. They will soar high on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint."" (Isaiah 40:27-31) NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment