Sunday, November 11, 2018

"Firmness of Purpose"

"With my whole heart have I sought thee: O let me wander from thy commandments." (Psalms 119:10)

 As with every one of us, especially those that feel a particular calling, there are times in our lives when we get distracted from what it is we have been called for, whether that be full on ministry, or just simply following Jesus, even if that might be from a distance. Here is a basic request David is making, that God not let him wander from the precepts that He has shown him. This is more about a personal relationship than it is about keeping the law or what the commandments of God might put forth; this is about what David was seeking after, that kind of relationship with God where he knows what is expected of himself and he knows what he can expect of God. I cannot imagine what my life would be if I were to stop seeking God for guidance and stopped looking to Him for help; not now that I know how much I depend upon Him for life, how could I stop? This is pretty much the heart of David in this verse, that he not wander away from all that he has been shown. We hear about people all the time that have left the ministry. Even those who seemed to be strong in their faith, out of the blue, they just pack up and go. Personally, I believe it has something to do with their purpose. If they no longer feel as though God is using them, or they no longer feel effective in their calling, they get discouraged and start looking for a way out. Not every day, week, month, or even year, can be what we expect it to be; our lives are subject to be disappointed now and again, especially by our own ability to disappoint. That was Paul's whole point in Romans 7:14-25, we really can be a huge disappointment to ourselves. But God, somehow, God is never disappointed by us! I find that the more I understand this, the more I feel the need to stay focused upon Him and not myself. If I have been chosen by God, and God already knows all that is in my heart, all that I have ever done, and all that I ever will do, yet He chose me still, why should I not seek after Him even more? He has all the answers to every question, especially that of purpose...

"Don't you realize that in a race everyone runs, but only one person gets the prize? So run to win! All athletes are disciplined in their training. They do it to win a prize that will fade away, but we do it for an eternal prize. So I run with a purpose in every step. I am not just shadowboxing. I discipline my body like an athlete, training it to do what it should. Otherwise, I fear that after preaching to others I myself might be disqualified." (1 Corinthians 9:24-27) NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment