Saturday, April 15, 2017

"To Grow Dependently"

"They shall bring forth fruit in old age; they shall be fat and flourishing;" (Psalms 92:14)
I was thinking of putting these two together; but this is about us and that is about Him, more or less. If it's okay, I would like to address something that I has mentioned the other day about plowing in the trench that the Lord has already plowed for us; and this to is very much in line with the message for today. To understand this better, it might be a good idea to look at a statement made by Jesus in John 14:12, where He says, "Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do, because I go unto my Father." How is it that we can do greater works than Jesus? Is that even possible? It would depend upon what greater works might imply, whether it means to perform miracles or if it means the Great Commission. The way I see it, it means the Great Commission, to go into the world a preach the Gospel. Basically that is really what it's all about, to spread the message that Jesus came and delivered to us all; not just for those who might be called to preach, but for every single one of us within whom He abides, and those that abide in Him. We really cannot have one without the other, that's not how it works. In other words, if you abide in Christ, it is because He abides in you; and you cannot abide in Christ if He is not abiding in you. That said, the work we have before us is made greater because it is being done through us, us being just jars of clay; clay jars that are fragile and easily broken, but nonetheless, able to perform extraordinary things. Do you know why this is made possible? Because Jesus has already plowed the trench that we are plowing in! We can never really do anything that is outside of Christ; if we tried, then it would not meet the Standard which He has set. Not only is Jesus the Foundation of our faith, He has also set the groundwork and established the principles by which we live out every single thing that is built upon the Foundation. Anything short of that, is like building upon another foundation, which would ultimately fail the test of Truth. And what is Truth? Truth is Jesus Christ risen from the dead, the First Fruit of the resurrection! So if you really want to see what the trench you are plowing in might look like, then there it is, right dead straight ahead of you! The way I see it, the closer we get towards the grave, the closer we should be getting to the Lord; "fat and flourishing" with a little "be" added right before it...
""I am the true grapevine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch of mine that doesn't produce fruit, and he prunes the branches that do bear fruit so they will produce even more. You have already been pruned and purified by the massage I have given you. Remain in me, and I will remain in you. For a branch cannot produce fruit if it is severed from the vine, and you cannot be fruitful unless you remain in me. "Yes, I am the vine; you are the branches. Those who remain in me, and I in them, will produce much fruit. For apart from me you can do nothing."" (John 15:1-5) NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment