Thursday, April 6, 2017

"Searching God's Goodness"

"O LORD, how great are thy works! And thy thoughts are very deep." (Psalms 92:5)
Yes, that was a pretty emotional experience yesterday; you don't realize this, but there was quite a pause between my exclamation and that final sentence; I could not even see the screen of my computer. I believe the greatest mystery we can try and experience is to understand why God created man with free will. He could have made us to automatically fall in love with Him; but what would be the point of that, we would just be like puppies, wagging our tails and chasing balls all day. But God wants us to love Him because He loves us, and He wants us to discover that love and to fall in love with Him. This is the reason we have been given His written word, that we might know Him, that we might experience the depth of His love for us, and that we might know without a doubt it is true. I would be willing to bet, if you could take someone, anyone, and have them read through and study God's word, by the time they were done, they too would be a believer in Christ Jesus. I had read the Bible before I was saved, but I never really studied the Bible. The closest I came to studying the Bible was when my family would study with our J.W. home group; but that was more about studying books written by the Organization, and then looking up Scriptures to verify what was being taught in those books. No, what I am talking about is to study the Bible on it's own, without any guide or without any commentaries; to read it from cover to cover, taking notes, and going back to familiar Passages for referencing what God was trying to say. Even if that persons intent was to discredit the Bible or to prove that it was full of mistakes; if they studied deep enough and really took it apart, then they would have a totally changed heart; I could almost guarantee it. One of the first things that I did when I was saved, was to make a cross-word puzzle with all the squares spelling out the name "JESUS" up and down the whole page. And all the questions were based on Scriptures that point out that Jesus was God, or made reference to Jesus being the Savior. We are talking about all the way through the Bible; I had so many questions, I needed to choose which ones to use and which to keep. We might not be able to know all that there is to know about God, but we can know enough to know that He loves us; and once we discover that love, it grows and grows...
"He has given me a new song to sing, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see what he has done and be amazed. They will put their trust in the LORD. Oh, the joys of those who trust in the LORD, who have no confidence in the proud or in those that worship idols. O LORD my God, you have performed many wonders for us. Your plans for us are too numerous to list. You have no equal. If I tried to recite all your wonderful deeds, I would never come to the end of them. You take no delight in sacrifices or offerings. Now that you have made me listen, I finally understand -you don't require burnt offerings or sin offerings. Then I said, "Look, I have come. As is written about me in the Scriptures: I take joy in doing your will, my God, for your instructions are written on my heart.""
(Psalms 40:3-8) NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment