Friday, April 7, 2017

"Kept In God's Goodness"

"A brutish man knoweth not; neither doth a fool understand this." (Psalms 92:6)
I did not make a mistake, all of those Scriptures were kept, even the ones I did not use! You know, I cannot understand how anyone who has tasted God's goodness, can somehow slip away and then not want to be in fellowship any longer. I am not a perfect man, nor have I ever tried to make myself out to be one. But I love the Lord, I love my wife, and I try very hard to be charitable with everyone I know. Other than that, I try to stay close to God; this blog helps me to do that, because it keeps me committed to a daily devotional time; whether I feel like it or not, so far I haven't missed a day. And believe you me, there are mornings when I don't feel like getting up at 4:00, and there are some mornings that I have no clue whatsoever what I am going to say. Take this morning for instance: I leaped up out of bed, began to pray, sat down and began to read, and then felt empty; all of the sudden I felt like I had nothing to say. This verse was not helping, nor was I feeing inspired by what it had to say. Then all of the sudden God spoke into my heart and here we are, "Kept In God's Goodness" became the title! Based upon those last two verses, this is why, incase you were asking. It's not that we don't know about God's love, nor that we don't understand how good God is towards us; it's more about not wanting to be controlled, or under the full control of God. We can better understand what this speaks about when we look at Jesus speaking about "Serving Two Masters." The way that works in our real world, is much like wearing two hats; with one hat you serve the Lord, and then with the other hat you serve the world, yourself, and ultimately, you are serving the devil. Not that anyone sits out to serve the devil, but he is actually the god of the world; meaning that he is the one who rules the darkness that is all around us. The "brutish man" spoken of above is much like a fool, but is spoken of more like cattle, stupid in the sense that they are not really led, but that they must be driven. The difference between being led and driven, in case you didn't know, is that when you are driven you really don't know where you are headed; you might think that you know, but you are too stupid to actually realize where you are being driven to. The "fool" spoken of has a little more of a complex meaning, one that involves reverence for God, or lack thereof. This is one that I can relate to easily, because I find myself, or should I say, I catch myself doing this; where I somehow think that I can separate myself from God, just long enough to do something that I know He does not want me to do; as if God is in the constellations and I am here, so it really does not matter what I do when He's not looking. Well, let me try again and tell you what that does for your foolish hearts and minds; myself included. For one, not being led means that you really are not following the Lord; you might think that you are, but you are like a stupid cow that does not known which way it is going. Bobbing your head from side to side and not knowing exactly which path you should take. What that means for a child of God, is that you are driven hard! Is that what you want to experience? The world is pulling you in several directions, but God keep pushing you forward. It's like Jesus telling Paul, "It's hard for thee to kick against the pricks." The other is the lack of reverence for who God is: He is All Powerful, All Knowing, All the Time! Fortunately for fools like me, He has patience and is All Loving towards me! And for that, I know that I am kept in His goodness...
"That is what the Scriptures mean when they say, "No eye has seen, no ear has heard, and no mind has imagined what God has prepared for those that love him." But it was to us that God revealed these things by his Spirit. For his Spirit searches out everything and shows us God's deep secrets. No one can know a person's thoughts except that person's own spirit, and no one can know God's thoughts except God's own Spirit. And we have received God's Spirit (not the world's spirit), so we can know the wonderful things God has freely given us. When we tell you these things, we do not use words that come from human wisdom. Instead, we speak words given to us by the Spirit, using the Spirit's words to explain spiritual truths. But people who aren't spiritual can't receive these truths from God's Spirit. It all sounds foolish to them and they can't understand it, for only those who are spiritual can understand what the Spirit means. Those who are spiritual can evaluate all things, but they themselves cannot be evaluated by others. For, "Who can know the LORD'S thoughts? Who knows enough to teach him?" But we understand these things, for we have the mind of Christ."
(1 Corinthians 2:9-16) NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment