Sunday, March 5, 2017

"Yesterday is Yesterday"

"For a thousand years in thy sight are but as yesterday when it is past, and as a watch in the night."  (Psalms 90:4)
I did not mention this yesterday, but it was the day of the Men's Conference, and it was all about, "A Man After God's Own Heart." The bottom line, at least from what I gathered, is that we need to be 'after' the heart of God, as in, to pursue a heart of God, just like that song, "Change My Heart, O God." That was the big difference between Saul and David; Saul could not be honest before God, and David could not lie to God. More than that, David would not lie to God, because he understood that God knew what was in his heart. Besides that, David knew that God could and would forgive him, if he would just ask Him to! You know, I am pretty sure that "watch in the night" is not speaking about a watch like you might wear on your wrist, but if it were, it would simplify the description. So, for the sake of time, let's imagine that it speaks about the clock on your nightstand; you know, the one that you look at just before you go to sleep, and then look at again right when you wake up. Several hours might have passed, but it only seems like seconds; you close your eyes at 10:00, and before you know it, it's 4:00 and time to get up. Actually, for the last several weeks, I have woke up almost an hour earlier than my phone goes off, so I see the clock closer to 3:00; and then I cuddle my wife for the next hour until the alarm actually goes off. See how easy it is to get off track; not that it matters, but I loose track most days of how often it happens. You know what I mean, we are committed to do good, and to be ready in season and out of season, and then something happens to pull us off track. The only difference between Word and World in the letter 'L', which stands for lie! Constantly we must battle the lies of this world; constantly we are faced with temptations from the enemy of our souls, and his practice is to lie in order to get us to fail. It just so happens, one of the biggest lies that the devil will use against us, is that of forgiveness; mostly the fact of our guilt being evidence that we are not really forgiven. I have spent many years as a Christian thinking that I must forgive myself, as if, part of the act of forgiveness is me being able to forgive myself. Lie! I can't forgive myself; only God can forgive me for my sins! It's really okay to feel conviction for the sins that we have done, especially those sins which have been committed against our brothers and sisters. The big issue is not our conviction, it's condemnation! My heart might convict me, but my God does not condemn me...
"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us. We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, the champion who initiates and perfects our faith. Because of the joy awaiting him, he endured the cross, disregarding its shame. Now he is seated in the place of honor beside God's throne. Think of all the hostility he endured from sinful people; then you won't become weary and give up. After all, you have not yet given your lives in your struggle against sin." (Hebrews 12:1-4) NLT 

No comments:

Post a Comment