Saturday, March 11, 2017

"Christian Evolution"

"The days of our years are threescore and ten; and if by reason of strength they be fourscore years, yet is their strength labour and sorrow; for it is soon cut off, and we fly away." (Psalms 90:10)
I have this theory, and it involves a process whereby we evolve into something that is closer and closer to God. As a matter of fact, I have a shirt which has the title above written on it, and then it shows a man standing and walking upright, but little by little he progresses downward, until he is finally bowing down before God. It really comes down to our understanding of who we are, and that God really does love us. Say what you will, but in the end, that's what it will all come down to, Jesus saying, "Did you believe that I loved you?" To be more accurate about this theory, I would like to examine the conversation Jesus had with Peter when He asked him three times, "Simon, son of Jonas, do you love me?" It might be somewhat of a stretch, but I believe the question was meant to get Peter to realize how much that Jesus loved him, not the other way around. It might make more sense by looking a little further to the point when Peter noticed John was following them and listening to the conversation; at which point Peter says, "And what shall this man do?" Questioning the reasons for certain things that happen, or will happen, is a slippery slope, because most of the time we really do not have the answers. "Ours is not to reason why, ours is but to do and die." (Charge of the Light Brigade.) As soon as we start trying to reason why, we start considering how God might have favorites, or that, because of this or that, God has allowed this to happen to me. It was pretty much common knowledge between the Disciples that John was known for being the one that Jesus loved, even if it was John who made it known. Add to that, the fact that Peter publicly denied Jesus, not just once, but three times, and you can see where Peter's question was headed. So then, what is the real evolution of a Christian? It is to lay down your life! Plain and simple! It's like the more I progress in the this life, the least I really matter to the world, and the less this world matters to me. I'm not talking about relationships, I'm talking about my getting closer and closer to my real home, heaven. This is a result of something remarkable that takes place in my heart; it's not that I love Jesus more and more as time goes on, it's that I realize how much He loves me, more and more, the closer I get to Him...
"Dear brother and sisters, if another believer is overcome by some sin, you who are godly should gently and humbly help that person back onto the right path. And be careful not to fall into the same temptation yourself. Share each other's burdens, and in this way obey the law of Christ. If you think you are too important to help someone, you are only fooling yourself. You are not that important. Pay careful attention to your own work, for then you will get the satisfaction of a job well done, and you won't need to compare yourself to anyone else. For we are each responsible for our own conduct."
(Galatians 6:1-5) NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment