Thursday, March 23, 2017

"What Trust is Like"

"He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust: his truth shall be thy shield and buckler." (Psalms 91:4)
It might not have the impact that you are looking for, but it surely will have the proof that you need. That's what my thought was last night, as we looked into Ruth chapter two, and we witnessed the trust come to life in Ruth. There might have even been a point where she might have lost it, but I don't think so; it would have been when they first came into Bethlehem, and everyone said, "Is this Naomi?" To which she replied, "Call me not Naomi, call me Mara: for the Almighty hath dealt very bitterly with me. I went out full, and the LORD hath brought me home again empty: why then call ye me Naomi, seeing the LORD hath testified against me, and the Almighty hath afflicted me?" You can imagine how Ruth must have felt, had she not put her trust in God, as I believe that she did; she could have otherwise felt as though she didn't really matter much, after all, Naomi had her, so she was not totally empty. Sometimes we can say things without really considering the impact of our words upon others, especially to those around us that matter most, like our spouse and our children. When you look at your life one day and say, I feel like I am such a failure and my life is meaningless. Meanwhile, your family hangs their heads in shame, realizing that they must not matter much in your eyes, or in your heart. I heard a crazy statistic about how much time fathers spend talking to their children each day, and it was something like three minutes average. That seemed like it was a mistake, but then I looked back upon my own life, noticing that I don't even know if I averaged that much; at least not those last years of his life. Man, we sure can get our priorities messed up! It sure is a good thing that our Heavenly Father is always there when we need Him! That's what real trust is like, in that you do not need to worry if God is looking out for you and is there when you need Him. Isn't that what Ruth displayed? She could have felt offended my Naomi's comments, we really don't know what that moment was like; except that we know she did not hold onto any offense, and we can see that in the way that she walked and worked and respected Naomi, because it was God she aimed to please, not people. That's really what trust looks like, because it's not about how we are treated by people, it's God we need to focus upon, He is the one who has the power to bring everything together for good. Not that we should not care what people think of us, but it should not matter to our trust in the Lord. That is how we avoid being offended by what people might say or do; people will be people, but God is God, and if God is for us, then who can be against us, and how could it really matter...
"Then Boaz asked his foreman, "Who is that young woman over there? Who does she belong to?" And the foreman replied, "She is the young woman from Moab who came back with Naomi. She asked me this morning if she could gather grain behind the harvesters. She has been hard at work ever since, except for a few minutes' rest in the shelter." Boaz went over and said to Ruth, "Listen, my daughter. Stay right here with us when you gather grain; don't go to any other fields. Stay right behind the young women working in my field. See which part of the field they are harvesting and the follow them. I have warned the young men not to treat you roughly. And when you are thirsty, help yourself to the water they have drawn from the well." Ruth fell at his feet and thanked him warmly. "What have I done to deserve such kindness?" she asked. "I am only a foreigner." "Yes, I know," Boaz replied. "But I also know about everything you have done for your mother-in-law since the death of your husband. I have heard how you left your father and mother and your own land to live here among complete strangers. May the LORD, the God of Israel, under whose wings you have come to take refuge, reward you fully for what you have done."" (Ruth 2:5-12) NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment