Sunday, September 4, 2016

"God's Countenance"

"It is burned with fire, it is cut down: they perish at the rebuke of thy countenance." (Psalms 80:16) It's really very unfortunate that we don't get this sooner, but God does what is needed to get us in line. He really is a very good Father! That's what restoration with God feels like! We feel loved; no matter the circumstance or the situation, no mater the trial or tribulation, we know with every last breath that we have inside of us that God loves us; and that is all that matters! Does God frown at us from time to time? I am pretty sure that He does; at least I know He does frown at me from time to time, because I can pretty much sense it. As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure that He sometimes chuckles at my stupid behavior, especially when I am doing something really naughty. Yea, I know, real men of God don't do naughty things, so there must be something seriously wrong with me. I blame it on boredom, and I'll just leave it at that. When it comes to serving God, I really don't want to just get by, or just be alright with God, I want to know that He is smiling upon me. Isn't that really what we need more than anything else? I need to know that He is pleased with my service; that at the end of it all, I will hear these words: "Well done, good and faithful servant." The good the bad and the ugly, all bunched together into one, and somehow it all turns out good in the end. Don't ask me how; don't even ask me why I think that it does. But this much I know, God will is always perfect! We cannot be perfect, but God is; we cannot be holy, but God is; we cannot be righteous, but God is. Can you see where I am going with this? Do you want to make God smile? Then cry out, "Abba, Father!" That is really what it's all about...
"How much more do I need to say? It would take too long to recount the stories of the faith of Gideon, Barak, Samson, Jephthah, David, Samuel, and all the prophets. By faith these people overthrew kingdoms, ruled with justice, and received what God promised them. They shut the mouths of lions, quenched the flames of fire, and escaped death by the edge of the sword. Their weakness was turned to strength. They became strong in battle and put whole armies to flight. Women received their loved ones back again from death. But others were tortured, refusing to turn from God in order to be set free. They placed their hope in a better life after the resurrection. Some were jeered at, and their backs were cut open with whips. Others were chained in prison.. Some died by stoning, some were sawed in half, and other were killed by the sword. Some went about wearing skins of sheep and goats, destitute and oppressed and mistreated. They were too good for this world, wandering over deserts and mountains, hiding in caves and holes in the ground. All these people earned a good reputation because of their faith, yet none of them received all that God had promised. For God had something better in mind for us, so they would not reach perfection without us." (Hebrews 11:32-40) NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment