Monday, September 12, 2016

"Elevator Music"

"Take a psalm, and bring hither the timbrel, the pleasant harp with the psaltery." (Psalms 81:2) So it comes down to this, being prepared to praise God. I know that might sound like it's really not hard to do, because we praise Him in church all the time; but it's not about timing, it's about a mood and a choice. Given all that I have been through this last year, I feel I pulled through pretty well. But did I miss out on something along the way? I think I might have. I don't seem to remember praising God; and if I did, it was something of a question, like saying, I am praising you, but I'm not quite sure what I am praising you for. When I am talking about being prepared to praise God, it is more about having things figured out in advance; not that we have a clue what is going on around us, but we must be settled in our hearts in trusting God. No matter what the battle that we might be currently in, there is always an outcome and things that still remain unanswered. But there is also always one thing that always remains the same, God's love! Whether good, bad, or indifferent, this life has nothing that compares to the love of God and the way that He loves us. So, yes, I might have had some questions about life; I might have even questioned my own purpose for being here; but I don't think I ever questioned God's love, even in the midst of the storm, even though it seemed we had lost. That might be part of what abundant life looks like. It is life that becomes unshaken by the storm, unmoved by disappointment, and unchallenged by failure...
"Put on your new nature, and be renewed as you learn to know your Creator and become like him. In this life, it doesn't matter if you are a Jew or a Gentile, circumcised or uncircumcised, barbaric, uncivilized, slave, or free. Christ is all that matters, and he lives in us all. Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience. Make allowance for each other's faults, and forgive anyone who offends you. Remember, the Lord forgave you, so you must forgive others. Above all, clothe yourselves with love, which binds us all together in perfect harmony. And let the peace that comes from Christ rule in your hearts. For as members of one body you are called to live in peace. And always be thankful. Let the message about Christ, in all its richness, fill your lives. Teach and counsel each other with all the wisdom he gives. Sing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs to God with thankful hearts. And whatever you do or say, do it as a representative of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through him to God the Father." (Colossians 3:10-17) NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment