Monday, September 19, 2016

"Give Ear To God"

"Hear, O my people, and I will testify unto thee: O Israel, if thou will hearken unto me;" (Psalms 81:8) This might sound a little strange, but listening to what God says is more than just listening. I have spent many years pretending to listen, but it does not count for nothing if I do not hearken to what God says! Actually, it starts before God even speaks, this rebellious heart, that although it might say, 'Speak and I will listen,' it actually means, 'Speak, and I will consider what you say.' Maybe I should spend more time considering what will happen if I don't listen, then I do thinking about what happens when I do? I mean really, what's to consider? I can choose life, or I can choose death; hum, let me think, which one will give me the most pleasure? That pleasure thing is an interesting term, because pleasure is not always pleasing, and it surely does not satisfy. What does always satisfy is being pleasing to God! How do we please God? By listening to every single word that He says! It's actually more than just that; it's more about being prepared to listen by giving ear to God. In other words, we must desire to hear Him speak, to direct our lives, and we must be prepared to obey. That's the biggest problem, at least it is with me, that whole, 'I will take that under advisement' kind of attitude, that says, 'Okay, I hear what you're saying, but let me weigh my options; better yet, let me see how I can work that into the things I desire for myself.' Oh, you don't do that? Okay, it must just be me. And here I thought we all had something in common? Don't be ridiculous! We all do it in some form or fashion; some more than others; some, do it all the way! It's the very first thing that pops into our heads, 'What's in this for me, and how can I make this work into my life?' God would say, 'I did not say to take it under advisement; I said to listen and obey!' We don't know what God has planned for our lives until we walk by faith; and faith requires that we listen and obey...
"Wash yourselves and be clean! Get your sins out of my sight. Give up your evil ways. Learn to do good. Seek justice. Help the oppressed. Defend the cause of the orphans. Fight for the rights of widows. "Come now, let's settle this," says the LORD. "Though your sins are like scarlet, I will make them as white as snow. Though they are red like crimson, I will make them white as wool. If you will only obey me, you will have plenty to eat. But if you turn away and refuse to listen, you will be devoured by the sword of your enemies. I, the LORD, have spoken!"" (Isaiah 1:16-20) NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment