Sunday, December 26, 2021

"Many Disciples Desert Jesus"

 "Many of his disciples said, "This is very hard to understand. How can anyone accept it?" 

 "Jesus was aware that his disciples were complaining, so he said to them, "Does this offend you? Then what will you think is you see the Son of Man ascend to heaven again? The Spirit alone gives eternal life. Human effort accomplishes nothing. And the very words I have spoken to you are spirit and life. But some of you do not believe me." (For Jesus knew from the beginning which ones didn't believe, and he knew who would betray him.) Then he said, "That is why I said that people can't come to me unless the Father gives them to me."

 At this point many of his disciples turned away and deserted him. Then Jesus turned to the twelve and asked, "Are you also going to leave?" 

 Simon Peter replied, "Lord, to whom would we go? You have the words that give eternal life. We believe, and we know you are the Holy One of God."

 The Jesus said, "I chose the twelve of you, but one is a devil." He was speaking of Judas, son of Simon Iscariot, one of the Twelve, who would later betray him." (John 6:60-71 NLT)

  "And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD." (Joshua 24:15 KJV) 

 Before I start this subject, I need to get a few things off of my chest. First off, I know that there are many things that I have allowed to creep into my life over the last 40 years, mostly due to compromises I have made as I served myself over serving the Lord; but I also know, without a doubt, that Jesus has forgiven me for each and every thing that I have ever done: because no matter what, I have always trusted in Him to never let go of me!

 Secondly, this is a choice we are given! Yes, He knows those that are His sheep and those that are not; but we are totally and completely blind to that information! I know that might sound bold; but we might think we have what it takes, until what we think we have is destroyed and we are left trusting in the world more than in the Lord. 

 This Christmas I gave Bibles to everyone in hopes that they might try to read them, by letting them know, if they read 20 minutes a day, they will have read the whole Bible within one year. I also gave everyone three verses to investigate and ponder: Psalms 118:8, Psalms 138:2, and Malachi 3:16. Not really all that popular to many, but very significant, none the less. 

 Do not give up of believing, no matter what! He has hold of you and is not letting go; don't you ever forget that! Stay, stay, stay in His Word...

 "I lift my eyes to you, O God, enthroned in Heaven. We keep looking to the LORD our God for his mercy, just as servants keep their eyes on their master, as a slave girl watches her mistress for the slightest signal. Have mercy on us, LORD, have mercy, for we have had our fill of contempt. We have had more than our fill of the scoffing of the proud and the contempt of the arrogant." (PSALM 123 NLT)


No comments:

Post a Comment