Saturday, October 24, 2020

"UNDER - STAND" -2

 "I sleep, but my heart waketh: it is the voice of my beloved that knocketh, saying, Open to me, my sister, my love, my dove, my undefiled: for my head is filled with dew, and my locks with the drops of the night." (S.O.S. 5:2)

  If there is anything that should bring us comfort, it is to know that He is always ready and willing to enter in and fellowship with us; we just need to open up our heart and let Him in! I am amazed by how much this gets overlooked in our worship and in our times prayer. Not that it happens all the time, but when we come expecting Him to speak, He is more than likely going to speak; but, if we are comfortable in our lazy state of being left alone, whatever degree of that state you are in, then this is how your fellowship will be manifested: He knocks, asking that you open to Him! 

  Instead of pretending this is something it is not, the word "sleep" is one that is used in the context of an excuse, such as, 'I missed my appointment because I was asleep,' or, 'They were all burnt up in their house because they were sleeping.' To be frank, it is an adjective, which is very interesting, as you might look at what some adjectives for ears might be: dull deaf, wholly deaf, unwilling and unbelieving, feverishly sensitive, simple, noncommittal; pretty much over 900 ways to describe ears: but we need to have ears that hear, hear being a verb; meaning that it is an action word, but only when it used with an object, like an ear! 

  That might not make much sense to those which are asleep, seeing how sleep is like slumber, that makes it more like a verbal adjective, used for those that make themselves to sleep, as in, I don't want to wake up! Regardless your condition, when you hear His voice, especially when He is knocking, you need to get up, say, "Here I am!", and expect something to happen! That is what this Title is typically about, that we show a little respect for all that He has done, by the simple act of listening and obeying His request! 

  Matthew Henry gives this a neat little twist, as he says, "He sues for entrance who may demand it; He knocks who could easily knock the door down." It is really something, that He which could have done so much to fight off those who would take His life, humbled Himself to be like a Lamb for the slaughter, that we might just be able to hear and open our hearts to let Him in...

"But Isaiah is very bold, and saith, I was found of them that sought me not; I was made manifest unto them that asked not after me. But to Israel he saith, All day long I have stretched forth my hands unto a disobedient and gainsaying people." (Romans 10:20-21) 

No comments:

Post a Comment