Sunday, January 5, 2020

"Despaired"

"Therefore is my spirit overwhelmed within me; my heart within me is desolate." (Psalms 143:4)

  You need to realize that everything we go through, we go through it for a reason. I know that there is no logic in some of the reasons, at least none that we can see or understand; but God can use anything for something good, even if whatever it is, appears to be absolutely horrible. There are three points of interest that I have marked in my Bible throughout this Psalm; this verse is the first of those, and it has written below the verse, "Despair." Whether or not it was what David actually felt, that is a question we can ask him in heaven; but it is here for a reason that we need to take hold of and make it a lesson on how we should coupe. We have no idea what God is doing in or though any situation we might find ourselves in; if we attempt to try and figure it out, it becomes overwhelming. Basically the word for "overwhelmed" means to be covered over, or to cover. I don't know if you ever did this as a kid, but I think I remember doing it once or twice: when you did not know what was going on around you, you covered the blanket over your head and tried to hide yourself. I can recall one instance that I did that, when my mother and step-dad were drunk and fighting really hard and loud. Things were breaking and the walls were shaking; it seemed like everything I needed to survive was falling apart. I think I was about ten, maybe even nine; but for that brief moment, life seemed very faint, and I realized how feeble and weak my life could be. Despair does not need to bring us to an end, it is actually intended to bring us to a new beginning! That is the reason for the title above, because in our lives, as children of the KING, every moment we have despair, it needs to be given over to Him, the One who has conquered everything; then it becomes something past tense and not present. Besides that, there is nothing here on this earth that can destroy your soul, even though the spirit might be overwhelmed; it is pretty much only the part of us that makes us do this or that, it isn't the soul; our soul belongs to God...

"And he was withdrawn from them about a stone's cast, and kneeled down, and prayed, saying, Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but thine be done. And there appeared an angel unto him from heaven, strengthening him. And being in an agony he prayed more earnestly: and his sweat was as it were great drops of blood falling down to the ground." (Luke 22:41-44)  

No comments:

Post a Comment