Saturday, October 27, 2018

"Walk the Walk"

"Save now, I beseech thee, O LORD: O LORD, I beseech thee, send now prosperity." (Psalms 118:25)

 It is really not just a matter of counting it all His, we must give Him all of our lives also; even the parts that we seem to think are our own. This word "Prosperity," might seem to be speaking of prospering and such, as if we are asking God to bless us in our daily lives; but take a closer look, and you will see it is speaking about His will and direction over us, not what we want, but what He wants for us. Sure, the word might give those who are engaged in something profitable a chance to hold it up as some sort of slogan, but in the context of what is being said, it is speaking about spiritual things, not material or worldly prosperity. This is God's way of showing us that we cannot do this on our own; not only does God save us from our sins and eternal destruction, but He saves us from ourselves by pouring out His Spirit into our lives. The prosperity we are looking at is what might take place from an attack or conquest from bad to good; where the Spirit of God overwhelms a man to such a degree, that he no longer has the same passions and desires he once had. That is the kind of prosperity we are talking about, the kind that count towards the Kingdom of God, not the kind that count for man's worldly benefit. Matthew Henry relates it to being a request to be overtaken and made to love those things the God loves, and to hate the things that He hates; that is real prosperity! There is really only one way that we are going to have this kind of success, and that is by God's Spirit! It is not by power or by might, but by His Spirit that the prosperity of the Gospel is realized in the life of the believer. It is the Holy Spirit that gives us the peace and righteousness to represent the Kingdom of God; without walking in the Spirit, we cannot represent Jesus as we should; we fail miserably at walking as we should walk...

"For the zeal of thine house hath eaten me up; and the reproaches of them that reproach thee are fallen on me. When I wept, and chastened my soul with fasting, that was my reproach. I made sackcloth also my garment; and I became a proverb to them. They that sit in the gate speak against me; and I was the song of the drunkards. But as for me, my prayer is unto thee, O LORD, in an acceptable time: O God, in the multitude of thy mercy hear me, in the truth of thy salvation."
(Psalms 69:9-13) KJV

No comments:

Post a Comment