Tuesday, July 21, 2015

"More Praise and Thanksgiving"

PSALMS 66 [To the chief Musician, a song or Psalm.] Seriously, this title is above the Psalm in my Bible; and at first I did not know what to think of it, but at this particular moment, it is perfect! Even the introduction, although it just says that it is "a song or Psalm", it makes perfect sense, especially after the little sucker punch delivered in the last Psalm; "Thanking God for Nature", might have been a catchy title, but it puts your mind at ease, just enough to allow God to open the eyes of your heart; and when that happens, you had better be prepared to give him thanks and praise Him! The way Matthew Henry addresses this Psalm, is that it is a "thanksgiving-psalm, and it is of such a general use and application that we need not suppose it penned upon any particular occasion." I find it always helps me when I am feeling sad or discouraged to just start praising God and thanking Him for His wonderful mercy and grace; it really takes my mind off of me and my particular issues, and it makes me remember how glorious God is. That is exactly what we need to do when we are feeling discouraged or depressed, we need "More Praise and Thanksgiving" for what God has already done for us; forgetting about what it is that we might feel we need Him to do right now, and just thanking Him and praising Him for what He has already done! That is all we really need anyways; we don't need anything more than what He has already done, because what He has done for us already assures our eternal inheritance in Him; what more do we need? I can really get seriously depressed if I let myself dwell on certain aspects of my life, especially when it comes to my wife and her condition. A really good crying followed by some serious praise always seems to help. I would not wish this upon anyone, but I have got to tell you, it sure makes you aware of your priorities when it comes to what really matters in life; I just wish I would have realized the importance of a touch twelve years ago... "A woman in the crowd had suffered for twelve years with constant bleeding. She had suffered a great deal from many doctors, and over the years she had spent everything she had to pay them, but she had gotten no better. In fact, she had gotten worse. She heard about Jesus, so she came up behind Him through the crowd and touched His robe. For she thought to herself, "If I can just touch His robe, I will be healed." Immediately the bleeding stopped, and she could feel in her body that she had been healed of her terrible condition. Jesus realized at once that healing power had gone out of Him, so He turned around in the crowd and asked, "Who touched My robe?" His disciples said to Him, "Look at this crowd pressing around you. How can you ask, 'Who touched Me?'" But He kept looking around to see who had done it. Then the frightened woman, trembling at the realization of what had happened to her, came and fell to her knees in front of Him and told Him what she had done. And He said to her, "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace. Your suffering is over." (Mark 5:25-34)

No comments:

Post a Comment