Monday, July 1, 2013

"Name Them One By One"

"When I kept silence, my bones waxed old through my roaring all the day long." (Psalms 32:3) Right out of the gate? Odd little phrase to pop into my mind, but then again, so is this verse! I know the meaning very well, and I have studied this verse many times before over the last 32 years; however, it really never has had this appearance before; then again, maybe it has, and I just refused to see it; or better yet, I refused to speak it out! It's the word "silence" that has me stricken by oddity, in that it always has meant simply to remain quite, as in, not confessing my sin will cause my bones to wax old through the grieving that I hold inside; not really that difficult to understand how that works; however, when further examination is performed to the word, right at the top of the explanation is this little introduction to the meaning: "TO CUT INTO, TO INSCRIBE letters on a tablet; to fabricate, out of metal, wood, stone, etc; to device evil things, as in being a fabricator; to plow, or to plow in iniquity, as elsewhere to sow evil, to prepare it for time to come". Well, I can go on further if you would like, but how far do you want to go down this rabbit hole? But just to make it interesting, how about we look at the word "day", and see what makes this new idol come to life; because day, although it might appear to mean day, as in a 24 hour time period, it's primary signification appears to be that of the heat of the day; and then by adding it's secondary meaning to the primary one, we have the special day that is established by either birthday of someone special, or the festival days of idols; or, in a really bad sense, the day of one's destruction. The way that I see this, and with the "Right out of the gate" kind of mentality, when sin is revealed in us, either by occasion or by revelation, it must be confessed and put to rest; otherwise, what we have done,  is to pretty much create an idol, and then buried it in the sand for another day; only to have to deal with it another day, which will be the day of destruction, whether the idols destruction or our own. The primary meaning of the title of this post, besides being part of the song I am singing, is that we need to 'Name' the sins that are revealed in our hearts; naming meaning that we bring them forth in confession unto God; otherwise, what becomes of them is something of the "TO CUT INTO, TO INSCRIBE letters on a tablet", which is much the same as a deaf and dumb man might right out what he has to say to someone, yet he never passes the note for the person to read..."The sin of Judah is written with a pen of iron, and with the point of a diamond: it is graven upon the table of their heart, and upon the horns of your alters; whilst their children remember their alters and their groves by the green trees upon the high hills. O my mountain in the field, I will give thy substance and all thy treasures to the spoil, and thy high places for sin, throughout all thy borders. And thou, even thyself, shalt discontinue from thine heritage that I gave thee; and I will cause thee to serve thine enemies in the land which thou knowest not: for ye have kindled a fire in Mine anger, which shall burn for ever." (Jeremiah 17:1-4) 

No comments:

Post a Comment