Tuesday, May 3, 2011

"Life Verses Life"

What a strange title you have today Mr. Norrup? Yep, I have to agree with you, if that was your impression. However, there are two very distinctive meanings to the word 'life' that are used in the New Testament writings, with some slight variations. For example, in Matthew 16:24-28, Jesus is speaking to His disciples about something that was brought on by Peter's rebuke to the Lord about Him being killed and being raised again the third day. In verse 23, Jesus answered the rebuke of Peter by saying, "Get thee behind me Satan: thou art an offense unto Me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men". Not to be a stickler for detail, but don't you think that the things which are of God and those that are of men are worlds apart? Let me give you some example of where I am going. I can remember the time when I was behind bars as a child, several different times to be exact; but one thing I remember is praying to God, asking Him to have mercy on me, and giving Him promises that I could not, and did not keep. I can even remember making statements like, Lord I will give you my life; just please get me out of this mess I am in. This being said from a child, not much older than twelve or so of age; but to what prevail? Did my life change once I was taken out of jail? Sadly, no. I have to wonder what life I had been willing to surrender to the Lord, if any. Because, when you truly think about it, the only reason that I was crying out to God, was for the preservation of this life, as I would have it; not for the desire to be given a new life in Him... "Then said Jesus unto His disciples, If any man will come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me. For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for My sake shall find it. For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?" (Matthew 16:24-26)

No comments:

Post a Comment