Monday, October 17, 2022

"Loved!"

 "Now Jesus loved Martha, and her sister, and Lazarus." (John 11:5 KJV)

  "God showed how much he loved us by sending his one and only Son into the world so that we might have eternal life through him. This is real love - not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as a sacrifice to take away our sins." (1 John 4:9-10 NLT)

 This little verse has a special message to anyone that might be suffering through anything, especially the things that concern end of life issues, such a cancer and other devastating illnesses. Is it just me, but it seems that once I only knew a couple of people at a time that had cancer, but lately, it seems like a dozen or more, all at once. 

 There is a particular reason that John makes mention of this, especially right before he shares what happens next. First of all, this life is temporary! If we live to be a hundred, we are considered blessed; if we pass away at twenty, we are considered cursed. Personally, I grew up thinking that I wouldn't live past thirty; so being here for sixty plus years, makes me feel as though I have lapped my expected time! 

 That might sound weird, but I am doing my best to do my best; other than that, I'm looking forward to the rest! That is really not a joke. I'm getting tired of watching people die, and I'm pretty sure I am not alone. If you are really looking forward to being with Jesus, you can see why John is making this statement and why it matters that death does not matter! 

 I'm sorry if that seems morbid or totally careless, as if I am being cold-hearted; but I see this thought that John is trying to get across, the temporary suffering that is going to happen, is only for a moment. Secondly, John is thought to have written this Gospel towards the end of his life, near the end of the first Century. He was the last of the disciples to be alive, and he was the first of the disciples to believe Jesus rose from the dead! 

 I know it might not seem all that important, but the right perspective on what matters most, really puts everything in the right perspective...

"For a small moment have I forsaken thee; but with great mercies will I gather thee. In a little wrath I hid my face from thee for a moment; but with everlasting kindness will I have mercy on thee, saith the LORD thy Redeemer." (Isaiah 54:7-8 KJV) 

No comments:

Post a Comment