Sunday, October 23, 2022

"Be Encouraged!"

 "But if a man walk in the night, he stumbleth, because there is no light in him." (John 11:10 KJV)

  "Your laws are wonderful. No wonder I obey them! The teaching of your word gives light, so even the simple can understand. I pant with expectation, longing for your commands. Come and show me your mercy, as you do for all who love your name. Guide my steps by your word, so I will not be overcome by evil. Ransom me from the oppression of evil people, then I can obey your commandments. Look upon me with love, teach me your decrees. Rivers of tears gush from my eyes because people disobey your instructions." (Psalm 119:129-137 NLT)

 As I was thinking about this title, I was prompted to read Matthew Henry's commentary on this verse, hoping for some inspiration on something positive, because this verse is somewhat negative. Basically, it was the end of the beginning, because this is about what not to do, much like the plow illustration: 'You keep your eyes looking forwards, and you will have straight lines; but if you gaze left to right, your lines will not be straight.'

 Sorry if that seems too simple, but it is simply the truth! Whatever place you might find yourself in, no matter how far off you have strayed or gotten off course, stop what you are doing, and ask God to give you instruction! It might sound too simple, but, once you follow His instructions, no matter how horrible those lines were behind you, in the end, they will be straight! 

 That is how God works! He makes all things new, as if those terrible things had never happened, to be terrible, and the mistakes we make, He turns into His opportunities for redemption for others. If you don't believe me, just check it out for yourself. A great Book to read in the Bible is the Book of Ruth, because it compiles so many generations of mistakes; all of the mistakes that God uses to bless others, repeatedly!

 Make sure to research the characters, seeing where they came from and who they were related to; you will be amazed at the connections, how they are all part of our redemption through Christ! Just to help you in your quest, Ruth is an offspring of one of Lot's unnamed daughters, the firstborn one, while Boaz is the offspring of Rahab the harlot, who hid the two spies in Jericho.   

 It really makes for a very encouraging read, once you realize how many different players there are. No matter how messed up we might be, God can fix anything and make it right...

"The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is upon me, for the LORD has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to comfort the brokenhearted and to proclaim that captives will be released and prisoners will be freed. He has sent me to tell those who mourn that the time of this LORD'S favor has come, and with it, the day of God's anger against their enemies. To all who mourn in Israel, he will give a crown of beauty for ashes, a joyous blessing instead of mourning, festive praise instead of despair. In their righteousness, they will be like great oaks that the LORD has planted for his own glory." (Isaiah 61:1-3 NLT) 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment