Friday, August 19, 2022

"Self-Sufficiency"

 "Jesus said unto them, If ye were blind, ye should have no sin: but now ye say, We see; therefore your sin remaineth." (John 9:41 KJV)

  "What sorrow for those who are wise in their own eyes and think themselves so clever." (Isaiah 5:21 NLT) 

 I learned a long time ago, the ones which are hardest to convert towards salvation, are the ones that think that they are okay and don't need to be saved. We are talking about life-long servants and churchgoers, who, although they have been hanging out in church, they never have given Christ a chance to make them a new creature. 

 The thing about these Pharisees, as with those who think they don't need to be saved, is the work they do is to them enough; they have learned all the Scriptures, performed all the rituals, and put the time in, so now they have nothing to fear, because they have it all worked out. It is quite ironic, but this can be just about anyone, and they might not even know it, because their heart has become callused to the call for surrender. 

 There are certain things to ask ourselves, if there are any doubts: Do I think I have my life under control? Do I feel as though I don't need saving? When I hear a message that pricks my heart, do I instantly think of someone else that the message is meant for, instead of myself? All of those and more, are the clues to being self-sufficient, because if you were really aware of what you are, then you know: I don't have any control, I need saving daily, and if my heart is pricked, I need to pay attention! 

 We have not arrived until we are with Jesus in heaven, until then, we are still broken and getting worked on, each and every day! As soon as we think that we have our life under control, we need to slap ourselves and wakeup, because we must have been dreaming...  

""Wake up! Strengthen what little remains, for even what is left is almost dead. I find that your actions do not meet the requirements of my God. Go back to what you heard and believed at first; hold to it firmly. Repent and turn to me again. If you don't wake up, I will come to you suddenly, as unexpected as a thief."" (Revelation 3:2-3 NLT) 

No comments:

Post a Comment