Sunday, February 27, 2022

"Blinded by the Light"

"Then cried Jesus in the temple as he taught, saying, Ye both know me, and ye know whence I am: and I am not come of myself, but he that sent me is true, and him ye know not." (John 7:28 KJV)

  "My son, if thou wilt receive my words, and hide my commandments with thee; so that thou incline thine ear unto wisdom, and apply thine heart to understanding; yea, if thou criest after knowledge, and liftest up thy voice for understanding; of thou seekest her as silver, and searchest for her as for hid treasure; then shalt thou understand the fear of the LORD, and find the knowledge of God." (Proverbs 2:1-5 KJV)

 Much of what is taught today in our churches are the things that deal with life issues here on this earth; not that there is anything wrong with knowing how is manage the things of life, but there are really more serious things that need to be managed first. Maybe the problem, if there actually is a problem at all, is that many people in the average church sitting, really do not want to feel uncomfortable when they come to church; they really just want to be blessed and feel as though everything is okay. As if, just showing up for church, is all God really requires a person to do.

 That was basically the thing that caused me to hate church when I was young, the hypocrisy of those that pretended to be good, in and around church, but were something totally different at home. Not that I have any perfection in that area, because there is nothing perfect about my life, except that I am washed in the blood of Jesus Christ! But that is pretty much my point; before we can begin to seriously manage this life, we must know the seriousness involved in the life to come! 

 Maybe I am making too much of something I really know nothing about? Maybe it is just the way things are, and I should keep my opinions to myself? To be perfectly honest, I am usually not really that focused upon it; most days I just try to keep my own life in order, not paying attention to the lives of those around me. 

 This verse, as little as it might say, it says a lot! For one thing, Jesus points to the heart of the matter, saying that these people did not know God. They might think that they knew Him, but they could not see Him, nor could they understand their need to actually know anything about Him. That is not all that uncommon in this life, because the more we learn of God, the more serious we see how much His knowledge is of us, and the more guilty we actually feel...

"For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness; because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shown it unto them. For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse: because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools, and changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and four-footed beasts, and creeping things. Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness, through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves: who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen." (Romand 1:18-25 KJV) 

No comments:

Post a Comment